How Do YOU apply E 6000

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Yes I have been cleaning them. I have one of those old concrete wash tubs , I fill it with about a half inch of water and a couple of drops of Dawn dish soap. Then I give the earring a quick rub on the concrete to get the kiln wash off then rub the earring between my fingers to clean it. Then a quick rinse and it's done.

Randy
K Okahashi

Post by K Okahashi »

One good source of jewelry cards, etc I have found is: http://www.fetpak.com/

For a fraction of the cost you'll get some really nice looking hang tags.

Good luck!
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

randy -- you might like to add some alumina hydrate to your kilnwash. my earrings only stick to my kaolin/alumina hydrate kilnwash if they get too hot, like 1600. my small kiln doesn't have a controller, only pyrometer, so sometimes if i get distracted or dont hear timer, it sails over 1490, which i find is the primo temp for dangle earrings. a little cooler for ones with surface texture (1450-1460), and about 1550 or so for dots.

if i need to clean up the backs of earrings for some reason, i like to use black waterproof sandpaper, 220 grit. a fourth of a sheet on the kitchen counter, wet, and the kilnwash comes off instantly, same as your rubbing it on concrete.

i have found that most colors don't need sanding before epoxy, but a couple of them seem to require it: they are the transparent oranges and yellows.