insulation for studio wall question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Stephie

Post by Stephie »

For those of you using a ceramic kiln, do you have to flash vent?
When I turn the kiln off the temp keeps rising. :-k
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

lissa wrote:snip... My kiln is my laundry room and I would love to skip the flash venting....I guess too, a matter of time, my kiln loses heat pretty slowly and I imagine not flash venting would add hours to every fire.

lissa.
My brick kilns take less than a hour to drop from fusing temperature to 990. (If I may tease, I am, however, interested in how you flash vent your laundry room.)
Stephie wrote:For those of you using a ceramic kiln, do you have to flash vent? When I turn the kiln off the temp keeps rising.
You do not.

I think you are seeing the effect of having opened the kiln to decide that the processing is completed. When that is done, the air temperature in the kiln is dropped, say, 100 degrees. After the lid is closed, heat from the walls/shelf/glass will raise the air temperature until an equilibrium is reached, and then the air temperature will start dropping again.

Jerry
lissa

Post by lissa »

Wow, I did a slump fire this afternoon and my kiln dropped from 1300 to 1050 in under half hour an hour. Hope I didn't overslump, but even if so I can just work that into a new equation. I'll have to see how a fuse fire goes tomorrow. The clothes on the drying rack are going to take longer to dry now :)

lissa.