tabletop belt sander? + clear scrap usage

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SarahM.

Tony~

Post by SarahM. »

Tony~

How do you like the CRLawrence sander? That is the one I'm thinking about purchasing-I like that it has the wheels/roller on it, I have not noticed that on other models.

I am on the hunt to for a belt sander!
Thanks,
Sarah
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I like the CR Laurence wet belt, but it is essentially the same model that I used 28 years ago when I worked in a glass shop during my summers. It is not without its flaws. The wheels are available on all models from CRL as well as those from Somaca. They are not available from Covington which is one of the other issues that I had forgotten about the COvington. It has an aluminum shelf to rest the glass on, and when you get sufficient glass particles on the shelf, the underside of the glass can get scratched.

With the water feed that turns itself on and the drain that takes the water away, using the wet belt sander is very convenient and easy to use. Belts are easy to change, as they are in the Somaca. I think the Somaca has a larger water tub which means less water ends up on the floor. But when you are using the finer grit belts, the water ends up on you instead of in the tub anyway.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

charlie wrote:
twinkler2 wrote: What temp do you fire this scrap and the annealing time? I have soooo mush scrap glass, I thought I might give this a try

Thanks
Me Kim
try 1700 for an hour. anneal well, since it's going to be thick. the b.e. site has a tech tipsheet on this for different, thick fusings. i tried one at 1600 for an hour, and it had bubbles on the surface that were sharp once the tops of them broke off.
1700 works well and you'll lose most of the bubbles. COntroll your descent all the way to 400° or so and don't peek until the kiln is under 125°.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun