Circle Cutting

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Robert Cohen

Circle cutting

Post by Robert Cohen »

Tony. Would you care to translate your comments into simple english that us mere mortals can understand?

Brock, Bert, Tony(s) etc. etc. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. If something doesn't work out soon I will have to give up glass cutting and go into the glass recycling business. My inventory of broken glass is increasing in direct proportion to my reduction in cash.

Bob
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Bob,

I've had some glass come through in the past that I just could not cut... either straight or in circles. The circles would be the most frustrating as I would end up with fragments. When you're cutting full sheets of irid and end up with a pile of scrap glass, it makes your heart and your wallet cry. I blamed the glass, and found something to do with the scrap irid. I cut a lot of circles... okay, maybe not as many as Doug or Patty, but enough to know the right way and the wrong way. I'm pretty confident that when the score takes its own path, that it really isn't me.

"When the world gives you lemons, make lemonade".

Tony

The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Robert Cohen

Circle cutting

Post by Robert Cohen »

Tony,
GREAT photo!!!. You made good use of your broken glass in a very attractive design.
I think I will try an Andy Wahol approach by random fusing of broken pieces to a piece of clear and calling the results "Chaos Theory in Action". I think this will be an attractive addition to a "serious" art collectors' gallery. Who knows ... this may open a new market for glass fusers.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

NSF wasn't interested but I cooled some glass down anyway. I chilled an 18" by 24" piece of double strength float to about 20F and cut strips, very deep curves, and 4 and 6" circles. I could not discern a difference, other than that my hands were freezing. The glass behaved as if it were indoors. The other half of the sheet that was inside cut the same. It is supposed to be colder later this week, so will try it again with float, but also with some art glass. Robert-I would try getting some inexpensive float (your local window glass shop may give you some scrap) and try cutting circles on that. That would eliminate or confirm your glass being the problem. Did you do a flatness check?
Dani

Post by Dani »

I suspect the state of mind of the cutter as well as the warmth of the hands has as much to do with the ability to cut and break glass well as the effect of temperature on the glass itself. This would be a fun demo at a conference with icy pieces of glass just out of the hotel freezer. :twisted:
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I like that idea Lani-How about cutting iced beer steins, now that would be a challenge! As to the state of mind of those doing the cutting, a before and after contents consumption comparison could be easily made. Safety glasses, kevlar body suits and insurance policies mandatory!
Robert Cohen

Circle Cutting

Post by Robert Cohen »

Tony
I put a level on my work table and discovered I was off 1/8 of an inch. Corrected this with a metal shim and now I'm level. As you suggested, I'm going to our local glass shop for some scrap float glass and will try my luck.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how things turned out.

Bob
Bert Weiss

Re: Circle Cutting

Post by Bert Weiss »

Robert Cohen wrote:Tony
I put a level on my work table and discovered I was off 1/8 of an inch. Corrected this with a metal shim and now I'm level. As you suggested, I'm going to our local glass shop for some scrap float glass and will try my luck.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how things turned out.

Bob
Expensive dip. That'll do it. bowed up is not as much a problem.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Did some outdoors cutting of Spectrum Baroque and Wissmach Opal, at 10F. Managed half inch by two foot strips, and very deep curves with no problem. Granted, the rigors of scientific process are being short changed here, but my crude test is confirming to me that temperature doesn't matter. We might hit sub zero later this week, so will continue to develop my cold working skills.
Dani

Post by Dani »

Tony, you should be the King of Coldworking in this year's calendar! :wink:
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Dani wrote:Tony, you should be the King of Coldworking in this year's calendar! :wink:
I don't think Tony's outfit would stand up well in such frigid temps! But a crown! What a great idea Dani - Maybe Chip can "Photoshop" one in there for him . . .

Oct.
Dani

Post by Dani »

Maybe he could borrow my crown hardhat. There's a thought. Did you know I make crowns? Seriously. Everybody should have their own crown. I half-seriously considered a gift line called The Crown Jewels. I even designed a line of Queenpins. LOL. You know, for those times when the real crown is just too over-dressed. :wink:
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Cut some more narrow strips and deep curves this morning at 5F-Wissmach and Bullseye. Used some Fracture/streamer, which can be difficult even at room temp. Glass was happy to do my bidding. My hands don't do well in the cold and cutting in gloves is awkward, so biggest problem was thawing my digits afterward! Wished I had some combing to do now.
Dani

Post by Dani »

So Tony S., are you in the calendar?? There's a spot available and you could be this year's King Of Coldcutting, frozen digits and all. Sign up!