Wierd tingling in fingers after grinding and sawing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

What you are describing sound more like "Vibration White Fingers" (traumatic vasospastic disease) than Raynaud's Symdrome. The symptoms of VWF's are: episodic numbness, tingling, and blanching (whitening) of one or more fingers (same as Raynaud's). The latent interval between exposure to vibration and onset of symptoms is inversely related to the acceleration of the vibrating tool and the cumulative hours of daily exposure. The first symptoms consist of persistent numbness and tingling, developing within several minutes of operating a vibrating tool. At first, the symptoms totally subside on weekends and vacations, but later they may be precipitated by exposure to cold.

It's good that you do not have night time pain, as this is a symptom of more severe musculoskeletal disorders.

Bottom line - your symptoms subsided a few minutes after you stopped work. There are gloves available that reduce transmission of vibration. My recommendation is to go at it a little easier, make sure that the pinch grip you are using on the glass is not too severe. Limit grinding time. Grind for 30 minutes, do something else for an hour then grind again. If the "tingling" persists more than a hour, I would recommend that you look into an alternative means of getting the job done. I have a lot more information about the worse vibration frequencies, if you are interested. My reference is "Occupational Medicine, 3rd ed.", Carl Zenz, 1994.
Greg