Did I Git Devit?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

Did I Git Devit?

Post by Randy W »

I did another wire drop, this time using Spectrum red and black. I thought the back looked better than the front so I ground it round then sandblasted the back using 120 grit aluminum oxide to remove the baked on kiln wash. I oversprayed with home made borax solution and fired to 1480° and held there for an hour. Then crashed to 1000° and annealed.

In some places you can still see a little texture from the sandblasting. Do I need to soak longer than an hour to get a high gloss finish? Or is it impossible to fire polish out the texture?

Also the black seems to have devit on it. Would spraying with borax and bringing it up to 1480° get rid of the devit? It's not real noticable but when the light hits it just right you can see it.
(the picture makes it look worse than it really is)

Thanks, Randy
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I don't know why you didn't lose the texture. That isn't making sense to me at those temps and with that long of a soak. YOu shouldn't have gotten devit either with the flux added.

Black isn't ususally prone to devit...BE anyway. Don't really know about the spectrum, but I would have anticipated devit on the red before the black glass.

Are you sure you cleaned it really well after blasting? You might have trapped some of your blasting abrasive in the glass and sealed it in when you fired it. That's my guess.
quill

Post by quill »

Wow! What a dreamy effect. Just beautiful.