Fused surf pattern on table?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

DClutter

Fused surf pattern on table?

Post by DClutter »

I recently seen a fused table top that had a pattern like the surf makes on the sand. It was very beautiful. Does anyone know how to achieve this type of pattern on the class. It seemed to be fused in, so I was thinking it was achieved with kiln wash somehow. I wished I could explain it better.

Thanks for your help
Deb
Brock

Post by Brock »

Usually it's done by slumping plate glass onto a prepared bed.
A lot of the bed mixes are proprietary, and secret.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i've seen something perhaps similar to what you're talking about, as a bowl design. see http://www.hudsonbeachglass.com/serving.htm. i've bought some of their pieces at a gallery here, and can testify that when they have good lighting on them, they are So Fine. i can't tell you how to achieve what you want, but this link is worth looking at. kitty.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Hudson Beach (sssshhhhh! trade secrets revealed!) is/are casting hot glass with ladles out of a funace into molds, either steel or graphite.

They're good guys, making nice stuff, with reasonable prices, and you should buy their work!

Marty
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i thought that was how they were doing it. i'm a fan.
Bert Weiss

Re: Fused surf pattern on table?

Post by Bert Weiss »

DebMeyer wrote:I recently seen a fused table top that had a pattern like the surf makes on the sand. It was very beautiful. Does anyone know how to achieve this type of pattern on the class. It seemed to be fused in, so I was thinking it was achieved with kiln wash somehow. I wished I could explain it better.

Thanks for your help
Deb
There are a myriad of ways to get different surface textures. Each one will look a bit different. Try playing around with painting kiln wash. Look in the archives there have been dozens of discussions of various techniques.

If you just mess around until you find something that you like, you will have the most satisfying and personal experience.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
DClutter

Thanks for the your help...

Post by DClutter »

I tried experimenting with kiln wash last night, but didn't get the effect I wanted. I took a look at the glass site and though they had awsome designs, it wasn't what I had seen. The pattern in the glass was a very shallow relief. It looked like the sand on the beach where the surf comes in. I don't think it was painted on. The table was clear and it produced a frosted effect almost. Anyway, I will keep trying tell I find something that works. Thanks for your responses.
Deb
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

You might try slumping over a rumpled up fiber blanket. Also, I've messed around with a product called Prop It. I bought it at a ceramics/pottery supply store. It's very much like a ceramic fiber batting - for lack of a better word.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Brock wrote:Usually it's done ... onto a prepared bed.

Brock
Ya, Brock, but sometimes you need to make your bed and then sleep on it. Or do you sleep on it and then make it..... :lol:
Brock

Post by Brock »

the1glassman@yahoo.com wrote:
Brock wrote:Usually it's done ... onto a prepared bed.

Brock
Ya, Brock, but sometimes you need to make your bed and then sleep on it. Or do you sleep on it and then make it..... :lol:
I usually sleep in them and don't make them.

Maids, ya know.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .