scratches

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

scratches

Post by Paul Tarlow »

My inlaws have a door with glass windows. There are some fine scratches in the windows (someone wasn't too careful with a razor removing some stickers).

The construction of the door makes removing the window impractical.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cosmetic repair to the scratches -- something that can be done in place?

Thanks,
Paul
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

If you can get the epoxy that they use to repair car windshields I would think that you might be able to spread it into the scratches and possibly make it go away. That epoxy is made with the same index of refraction of glass so it might work. Curing might be a problem as I've seen them curing it with a cigarette lighter, which is kind of crude to say in the least. If there is a version that cures from UV all you might have to do is spread it on and sunlight will do the rest.

Phil
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

If the scratches are really fine, you could try one of the scratch buffing kits that are made for windshields. http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/item ... &Dep_Key1=

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Bert Weiss

Re: scratches

Post by Bert Weiss »

Paul Tarlow wrote:My inlaws have a door with glass windows. There are some fine scratches in the windows (someone wasn't too careful with a razor removing some stickers).

The construction of the door makes removing the window impractical.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cosmetic repair to the scratches -- something that can be done in place?

Thanks,
Paul
Better stickers
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
camaro

Scratches

Post by camaro »

Hi Paul,
I just bought some Loctite UV glue at Home Depot, and I could have sworn I saw some filler type glass glue. If not they do have other glues, check out Glass Co. in our area. Pro-Glass or Russell Glass can also maybe help. As far as using the UV glue all you need is a 60 watt SPOT
Gro lite bulb, I bought that at Lowes. This wattage is more than enough
to cure UV glue for a few seconds. By the way did you get my message?
Camaro
John

Post by John »

If your sratches are fine try cerium oxide and a felt buffer wheel.

John
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

The conventional wisdom in the flat glass biz is that if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it can't be removed without creating a 'lens' effect in the glass. If you can't feel it then you might try buffing it out as John suggested. I personally don't think the glue approach will work. How bad are they? Have you tried the 'five foot' rule? Stand back 5 feet and if you can't see it, it isn't worth the trouble.

E
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

ellen abbott wrote:The conventional wisdom in the flat glass biz is that if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it can't be removed without creating a 'lens' effect in the glass. If you can't feel it then you might try buffing it out as John suggested. I personally don't think the glue approach will work. How bad are they? Have you tried the 'five foot' rule? Stand back 5 feet and if you can't see it, it isn't worth the trouble.

E
I agree with Ellen here. Her's is the explanation of why I said "better stickers".
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

ellen abbott wrote:The conventional wisdom in the flat glass biz is that if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it can't be removed without creating a 'lens' effect in the glass. If you can't feel it then you might try buffing it out as John suggested. I personally don't think the glue approach will work. How bad are they? Have you tried the 'five foot' rule? Stand back 5 feet and if you can't see it, it isn't worth the trouble.

E
In addition

If U can feel it with ur nail the ur gonna need pumace

The only thing 2 counter the lense effect is polish a bigger surface