Scott Chaseling at Leo Kaplan, NY NY

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Kitty

Scott Chaseling at Leo Kaplan, NY NY

Post by Kitty »

got the catalog today for Scott Chaseling's show at Leo Kaplan Modern in NY ... this is a really great catalog, mostly photos, not much text (who wants to read about it, anyway? let's SEE the stuff.) Mainly roll-ups with painted feature area. catalog only $10, too. for those of you who like to pick up catalogs for your art library, this is a good one. to see some of his work that was at Bullseyes, look at this link: http://www.bullseyeconnectiongallery.co ... Detail.cfm, and select his name from the artists' list.
Last edited by Kitty on Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Kurman

Post by John Kurman »

Yeah, Caseling produces some amazing stuff, no doubt about it. I gotta try my hand at it sometime. We play with what we call "fruit rollups" at the studio, which is basically small single-gather-sized bits of fused glass picked up on the pipe. But they smear and get messy and ugly and faint when you blow them out.

My only issue is the term "Aussie rollup". I don't deny them the name, and hold no strong objections to the term, like I do to the "RISD ring" which was Roman long before the boys at RISD started doing it.

Nevertheless, I can't help but think that this stuff was done before during Roman times, or maybe Egyptian. Nothing new under this or any other sun?

Very cool stuff anyway.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

John Kurman wrote:Yeah, Caseling produces some amazing stuff, no doubt about it. I gotta try my hand at it sometime. We play with what we call "fruit rollups" at the studio, which is basically small single-gather-sized bits of fused glass picked up on the pipe. But they smear and get messy and ugly and faint when you blow them out.
Make your panels thicker. At least 9mm thick, use dams to keep it that thick and bevel the seam sides so they will overlap. You'll get thicker walls if you start out with a thicker panel and it's easier to seam if you have the bevels, you have to think backwards to get the bevels going the right direction.
My only issue is the term "Aussie rollup". I don't deny them the name, and hold no strong objections to the term, like I do to the "RISD ring" which was Roman long before the boys at RISD started doing it.

Nevertheless, I can't help but think that this stuff was done before during Roman times, or maybe Egyptian. Nothing new under this or any other sun?

Very cool stuff anyway.
Yep, I am with you about the term, and it's a non issue. Way older and probably Roman...I think they call it Aussie simply because they have altered the approach a bit, but what do I know. Like you said, nothing new, just reinterpreted...but we get in fights when we start talking like this though. :roll:

Isn't Chaseling's work clever, inventive, fun, fascinating, delightful, challenging.....Thanks for the heads up Kitty, I might just see if I can get a catalog. There's a good article in the May/June issue of Glass Craftsman too with lots of pictures of the work for this show.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Scott Chaseling at Leo Kaplan, NY NY

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Kitty wrote:got the catalog today for Scott Chaseling's show at Leo Kaplan Modern in NY ... this is a really great catalog, mostly photos, not much text (who wants to read about it, anyway? let's SEE the stuff.) Mainly roll-ups with painted feature area. catalog only $10, too. for those of you who like to pick up catalogs for your art library, this is a good one. to see some of his work that was at Bullseyes, look at this link: http://www.bullseyeconnectiongallery.co ... Detail.cfm, and select his name from the artists' list.
Hi Kitty

U got slight error on web address

U got , at end this one is OK

http://www.bullseyeconnectiongallery.co ... Detail.cfm
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dunno why ... i copied it. TY for correction.
dave laporta

for john-on the roll-up technique

Post by dave laporta »

Aside from cynthia's suggestion you can try gathering twice or even three times so the fused piece won't have to expand so much. The other approach is to do the collar technique, pick-up and close the end. The later is prefered because you blow out the form only enough to capture your desired shape. The size of your piece is based on the size of the fused item, and here is where the 9mm thickness is best.
John Kurman

Post by John Kurman »

Thanks for the suggestions, cynthia and dave. I have no unrealistic expectations about becoming a honest-to-goodness glassblower - considering I get one hour a week at the bench. I've done canne pickup off the collar before, and know what you are talking about. I'll try your suggestions - but don't hold your breath seeing any Scott Chaseling quality pieces coming from me.

BTW, in case anyone is in the Chicago area. I am the "studio tech" (read: "the guy that knows how to program the kiln", but I barter time at the bench in exchange for charging the furnace, maintaining the equipment, do the occasional fixemup, and sweep the floor) at Shatter Glass Group.

http://www.lancefriedmansculpture.com/