Blasting Resist in a Pinch?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

Blasting Resist in a Pinch?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I need to do some fairly deep sand blasting this weekend -- but don't have any "real" resist. It seems the only way to buy the stuff is to mail order it -- which probably precludes me having it in time.

Any suggestions on decent alternatives. For this project I don't need (and in fact don't want) crisp lines.

Thanks,
Paul
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hey Paul,

What about "MacTac" shelve covering. It comes in clear. Or duct tape/masking tape.

Cheers,

Bob
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bob wrote:Hey Paul,

What about "MacTac" shelve covering. It comes in clear. Or duct tape/masking tape.

Cheers,

Bob
You can paint on elmers glue or asphaltum or liquid latex (the stuff used for coating tool handles)
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Trowel on a layer or silicone caulking compound and let it dry.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

How about a couple of layers of Contact paper. I don't sandblast but I had a friend blast out a couple of bad areas on a piece for me. I just put on one layer of contact paper and all was well when I removed it. She didn't do any thing deep.
Nanc
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Contact Cement works great.
Nikki
lohman

Post by lohman »

Does the contact cement peel off or do you have to use a solvent?
Brock

Post by Brock »

lohman wrote:Does the contact cement peel off or do you have to use a solvent?
It just rubs right off. These "liquid resists" such as spray adhesive, contact cement, and rubber cement are for texture. You aren't going to be doing any straight lines, or cutting when using them. They're primarily used to texture an already sandblasted area. Normally, you would resist your blank, bowl, 4' by 6' panel of float, lay out your design, cut, peel, and blast. Then, you would go back into selected areas with a liquid resist. These coatings can be manipulated, and when used in conjunction with sandblasting and acid etching can make an extremely interesting textured effect. I believe Markian Olynyk of Vancouver was the first to discover this. He was certainly the first one using them here. many years a go. He can make amazing effects with this process and paint. Elaborate, multi-panel screens. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
David Cutler

Post by David Cutler »

Maybe you should look at sign supply houses for the resist if there is one near you. The one I use stocks it regularly. Also you might try sign makers that specialize in wood sandcarved signs or monument makers in your town. They may sell you what you need if it is not much until your resist comes in.