Thin Fire

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jerry

Thin Fire

Post by Jerry »

A dumb question; Am I the only glass crafter that's excited about Bullseye's new thin fire? Can't find anyone who even knows what I'm talking about

I had bought my last package from them about 2 years ago. I just got a new pack and noticed it felt different, better different. My first firing I was firing borders onto a pot melt and I've got to tell you I'm impressed (Lani, are you listening?). First, the smell wasn't nearly as bad as it always was, but the best part was the texture on the back, uhhhh, the LACK of texture on the back. Can't remember getting anything that smooth.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask.

Jerry
Marty

Post by Marty »

Jerry- what kind of shelves are you using? I'm always looking for a smooth bottom....Marty
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Marty,
If you are looking for a soft bottom, look for a new born... :oops:
Mimi Tarro

Re: new Thin Fire

Post by Mimi Tarro »

I absolutely LOVE the new and vastly improved THIN FIRE!!!!!!!!!!It is wonderful compared to the old thin fire............it doesn't shrink...it doesn't STINK!!!! OH BOY!!! It is still a good idea to place some weight on the edges............now I really am spoiled............not only is the back side of the piece NOT have any crinky wrinkles but YES it truly is smooth as "glass"......................my only problem is what to do with the old stuff.
Thank you Bullseye!! Mimi Tarro
Brock

Post by Brock »

Mimi, are you channeling Rodney? Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Brock wrote:Mimi, are you channeling Rodney? Brock
It would need to be infinite commas to be the real Rodney. But on the new thinfire side of the topic, the stuff is GREAT. Smooth bottoms even on a fiber board shelf....love it!

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Vickie

thin fire people

Post by Vickie »

Is this "new" thin fire paper that great? Whenever I used the old, I ruined my project by getting HUGE bubbles. I like the thicker stuff.
But, I would love to get a smooth bottom too. Where do you order this new stuff?
Vickie
Mimi Tarro

re thin fire

Post by Mimi Tarro »

Vickie, I have used the new thin fire and no hint of any bubbles!! but, I also never had any bubbles on the old thin fire either. What I really hated was that the old stuff had the 'creeps" and it would like to creep or scoot under the base glass.............even with the edges weighted down,and then I have a BIG UGLY wrinkle!!!!!!!!!!!! and on the BOTTOM!!

By the way Brock, who is RODNEY????????????????? Mimi Tarro
:roll:
Brock

Post by Brock »

Rodney is a regular poster here who has an expressive typing style, much like your original post, only, as Lisa said, using commas,and capitals, rather than periods and capitals. No offense intended to either of you, the resemblance in style just struck me. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Jerry

Thin fire

Post by Jerry »

Well, I guess I'm NOT the only one to notice a difference; whew! Thought I had lost it, assuming I ever had it.

This new stuff doesn't seem to move at all. So there's no wrinkles under the glass and there almost always was with the old stuff. I fire directly on a kiln shelf too.

Well, thanks for quieting my troubled soul, folks.

Jerry
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

We are having bubbles with the new paper with thin sheets that we make... Anyone want to sell their old paper?
smcgypsea

THINFIRE

Post by smcgypsea »

how do you tell the difference, I have just purchased some paper on ebay, and have never purchased any other paper. Is there a way to tell new vs old?

Last year I purchased some Kaiser Lee Board at the Nasheville glass show, fused a project on it last week, got some real texture (maybe good...). Would it work to prevent creep if I pinned the corners with some thin wire into the klb? Has any one tried this?
jim simmons

Re: new Thin Fire

Post by jim simmons »

Mimi Tarro wrote:.my only problem is what to do with the old stuff.
Thank you Bullseye!! Mimi Tarro
You can bring it to the next Oregon Glass Guild meeting asnd I will be happy to recycle it for you. \:D/

Jim
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I was having problems with bubbles with the new super-thin fire until I realized it was picking up the pattern from the old kiln wash on my shelf. It's evidently so thin it can do that. Stripped and re-washed my shelf. Now I'm getting smooth glass when I fire with the new stuff. It really is great.
Jerry

Texture

Post by Jerry »

Yeah, the thin fire will do that, but it's a neat way to sign your pieces.

Some time back I was doing a pot melt into a flower pot tray. I sift in a liberal coating of talc, smooth it and put a base sheet in for the glass to drip onto. Well, when I smoothed the talc I used a plastic bowl to press it down figuring it was smooth on the bottom and would give me a nice, smooth surface. Well it did. However, when I popped the piece out and washed it, I found that my piece of glass, like the plastic bowl, was MADE IN THE USA! I laughed till I cried.

Jerry
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Jerry, That really is funny!

Elizabeth
Jo Holt

Re: Texture

Post by Jo Holt »

Jerry wrote:

I found that my piece of glass, like the plastic bowl, was MADE IN THE USA! I laughed till I cried.

Jerry
Sounds like a great signature to me!