Etching, Carving, Engraving on Dichro Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

candala

Etching, Carving, Engraving on Dichro Glass

Post by candala »

I am wanting to draw, etch, carve symbols and pictures onto my dichro glass and have it there after firing. Is there a special way to do this? I have a dremel and I'm not sure if it is as simple as using the dremel on dichro, making a symbol, capping it with clear and firing it. Is there a better way without getting into too sophisticated etching creams, etc. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with experience doing this. I'm looking for the "simple" method. Thanks.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You can certainly use the dremel to etch designs into dichroic glass. A full fuse will bring your base glass up flush with your coating again, but your design will stay. If you carve a desing in (etch deeply) then you will have to be careful of your temperatures or your carving will fill in as described above.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
charlie

Re: Etching, Carving, Engraving on Dichro Glass

Post by charlie »

candala wrote:I am wanting to draw, etch, carve symbols and pictures onto my dichro glass and have it there after firing. Is there a special way to do this? I have a dremel and I'm not sure if it is as simple as using the dremel on dichro, making a symbol, capping it with clear and firing it. Is there a better way without getting into too sophisticated etching creams, etc. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with experience doing this. I'm looking for the "simple" method. Thanks.
resist and a very light sandblast? i'll be more expensive for tools to start with, but a lot easier and more even. if you're doing etching, you have to do the same resist cutting as sandblasting.