Using Tile cutters for straght line cuts

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Andrew

Using Tile cutters for straght line cuts

Post by Andrew »

Does anybody have any experience using water-cooled tile cutters and diamond steel blades for cutting multi-layered fused pieces?

The diamond blade that I saw says that it is good for tile porcelain and glass block but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with actually using them.

Thanks,

Andy
charlie

Post by charlie »

yes, they're commonly used for cutting up blocks and sheets of fused glass.
Andrew

Tile cutters

Post by Andrew »

There are the $4-500 ones that look like a wet radial arm saw, then the >$100 ones that look like a table saw. Beyond the obvious durability issues, do they work equally well?

Looks like I'm headed back to Home Depot again . . .
A
charlie

Post by charlie »

they all work basically the same.

90% of the quality of cut is due to the blade. a cheap dull blade will not work in the most expensive cutter.

the type of cutter chosen gives you either more features, durability, or quality.

are you using it for a couple of things every month, or are you going into business with it and going to use it for hours daily.

i use the 10" tub saw from harbor freight for both tile jobs and glass. works well, is cheaper, but not as good as a top of the line mk. the cheap ones from hd usually have a 1" arbor, which makes it really hard to find replacement blades.