mk 215gl saw blade

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lauren

mk 215gl saw blade

Post by lauren »

has anybody ever used this blade? i just replaced my old blade with it, was very excited...but now can't seem to use it. everytime i try and cut there's major sparking and a burning smell, almost as if it's cutting dry...but it's not. there's the regular water feed from the saw, then i set it up so another water pump was pumping water right onto the blade as well....still sparking and burning tho. i tried calling MK, but they were unhelpful at best. has anybody used this blade before, have anything similar happen? my old blade is completely dead and i really need my saw right now...

thanks

peace
- l
Rick Jarvis

Post by Rick Jarvis »

Something else is amiss, I use that blade and have no problems.

good luck

Rick
BobB

saw blade

Post by BobB »

I did a google search on that blade. Says it for glass, continuous wet. It did say for a 1 to 3 hp saw. You didn't mention what type of saw you have (how big is the motor). I'm wondering if your saw has enough power to turn the blade at the proper rpm. Also as an FYI be sure you mounted it for the proper rotation.
1. Check to see if it's mounted right,
2. enough power
3. and if those check out I'd say it's a defective blade.

BobB
charlie

Re: saw blade

Post by charlie »

BobB wrote:I did a google search on that blade. Says it for glass, continuous wet. It did say for a 1 to 3 hp saw. You didn't mention what type of saw you have (how big is the motor). I'm wondering if your saw has enough power to turn the blade at the proper rpm. Also as an FYI be sure you mounted it for the proper rotation.
1. Check to see if it's mounted right,
2. enough power
3. and if those check out I'd say it's a defective blade.

BobB
1. continuous rim blades frequently don't have a 'direction'.
2. a lower power saw would just bog down. pushng the glass in slowly would still work.
3. most probable. it sounds like the diamonds aren't on there anymore. did it work for a short while and then stop, or was it bad from the start? what does the edge look like where the diamonds are sintered on? you should be able to compare it to a different blade and see if it looks vastly different.
lauren

Post by lauren »

well, the thing broke

i had just installed it this morning, from the first time i used the new blade it was doing the sparking...

when i tried cutting, it would only cut veryyy slowly, even tho it was only 3 layers of be thin i was cutting. i'd stop because of the sparking..

the blade had about a 1/4" rim of diamonds ...however while i was experimenting with the water flow while i had the blade running, i went to go cut a piece of glass and a second into the cut the diamond rim just kinda flew off (i heard a loud sound, flinched, shut off the saw, realized the rim had broken off the entire blade...but i can't find the pieces anywhere. oy)

i give up. i'm callin it a day.
charlie

Post by charlie »

it was defective from the start. take it back, along with any pieces that you can find of the rim, and the bloody bandaids. mentioning idly about having to stop by the lawyer on the way home should get some really good results. :D

a good diamond blade will have at least 1/2" of diamond. a better one will have more. 1/4" isn't enough and is a cheap blade.
lauren

Post by lauren »

maybe it was more, i didn't really measure it and it's not there now for me to go back and check, i was just kinda eyeballin it from memory.

i'll go contact the co that i got it from, see what they can do.

thanks all

peace
- l
dee

Post by dee »

lauren wrote:maybe it was more, i didn't really measure it and it's not there now for me to go back and check, i was just kinda eyeballin it from memory.

i'll go contact the co that i got it from, see what they can do.

thanks all

peace
- l
laura, call mk again tomorrow and tell them what happened - i had the motor on my mk370 crap out the 3rd time i used it [was a "refurbished" saw with warranty" and they shipped me a new motor - i use this blade, and while it does need to be dressed frequently for optimal performance/cutting time, i cut in several hour long sessions and the only time i have any sparking is if i'm not watching the water flow properly - i've had very good luck with the saw and the blade since then...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com