Using an airbrush for enamels

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jen prentiss

Using an airbrush for enamels

Post by jen prentiss »

Hi--
I've just started using an airbrush to apply enamels and traditional glass stainer paints. I'm wondering what sort of cleaning solvent people use after doing this. My airbrush is a mess!
Thanks,
Jennifer
Don Burt

Re: Using an airbrush for enamels

Post by Don Burt »

jen prentiss wrote:Hi--
I've just started using an airbrush to apply enamels and traditional glass stainer paints. I'm wondering what sort of cleaning solvent people use after doing this. My airbrush is a mess!
Thanks,
Jennifer
Paint thinner for lusters. Water and soap to clean up after paints and stains mixed gum arabic or Klyr Fire medium.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Thanks,
Jennifer
What are you spraying? You simply need the right solvents, water, paint thinner, alcohol, whatever cleans your medium. First spray plenty of the solvent through and then take the brush apart and make sure all the parts are clean.

Do this once with a solvent other than water and you will be a water solvent lover.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Thanks,
Jennifer
What are you spraying? You simply need the right solvents, water, paint thinner, alcohol, whatever cleans your medium. First spray plenty of the solvent through and then take the brush apart and make sure all the parts are clean.

Do this once with a solvent other than water and you will be a water solvent lover.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions