Looking for satin etch enamel

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Isabella

Looking for satin etch enamel

Post by Isabella »

Greetings everybody,

I am trying to give a frosty look to my float glass. Someone told me to use satin etch enamel, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Does anybody know where I can find some?

Thanks in advance!

-Isabella
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

If you don't want to get into sandblasting, you can use an etching cream or Vari-Etch from HIS Glassworks.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Bert Weiss had this info awhile back:

I have used a product that is definitely a few steps up from a spray on acrylic in terms of bonding. I have never used it to cover sandblasting. I use it instead of sandblasting, or to cover up devit on the outside of slumped bowls or sinks.

The product is frosted Organic Bottle Coating from Ferro in Washington PA. I am waiting to receive a sample of a similar product from ICD coatings in Vancouver WA.

This material is wtater soluble and can be sprayed or brushed on. It is baked in at 400ºF for 15 -30 minutes. It is not a glossy surface. It is matt. Another term for this stuff is satin etch.
Bert Weiss

Re: Looking for satin etch enamel

Post by Bert Weiss »

Isabella wrote:Greetings everybody,

I am trying to give a frosty look to my float glass. Someone told me to use satin etch enamel, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Does anybody know where I can find some?

Thanks in advance!

-Isabella
Isabella

There are different products that will give you satin etch. First there are enamels that fire in at various temperatures. basically it is a clear enamel that is underfired, leaving you with the look of sandblasting. I have seen this on old windows where it is indistinguishable from sandblast. There are many formulations that work at different temperatures. Your firing must be accurate or you get the wrong effect. There is also a frosted organic bottle coating. This material is being used more and more by industry on float glass.

There are spray booths available to industry that can coat the glass very evenly with any material. This is how they get an even look to the frost.

For more info call Ferro at 800-245-4951 They manufacture and sell all of the above products, $100 minimum order.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

i use dip n etch to etch my float glass, expensive though it last quite a long time.