side and top elements

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

shasta

side and top elements

Post by shasta »

i've searched the archives for this but couldn't find a definitive answer....

i'm looking to buy a new kiln. i want a top loading kiln but i'm unsure about whether i should have a top element only or top and side elements. i do small fusing (inch or less) for jewellry and i am concerned the side elements will give a different result on the edge pieces as opposed to the inside area.
what do you think? i'm interested in the paragon fusion 7 as it uses 120v and has a top element only. have others had problems with even heating on this model?

tanks in advance,
diana :?
Bert Weiss

Re: side and top elements

Post by Bert Weiss »

shasta wrote:i've searched the archives for this but couldn't find a definitive answer....

i'm looking to buy a new kiln. i want a top loading kiln but i'm unsure about whether i should have a top element only or top and side elements. i do small fusing (inch or less) for jewellry and i am concerned the side elements will give a different result on the edge pieces as opposed to the inside area.
what do you think? i'm interested in the paragon fusion 7 as it uses 120v and has a top element only. have others had problems with even heating on this model?

tanks in advance,
Shasta

I can see no advantage with side elements for doing flat small work. That said, I see no advantage to side elements in a kiln that is not significantly deeper than 12" and maybe not even then.

Top fire boy
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
dee

Re: side and top elements

Post by dee »

shasta wrote:i've searched the archives for this but couldn't find a definitive answer....

tanks in advance,
diana - i have a small jenken 14" kiln with only a top element and a larger jen ken with both side and top elements, 15" deep - i have found that i have alot more cold spots in the small kiln, particularly at the edges of the shelf that screw with the look of my pieces, i get a much more consistent look with the larger kiln - which means less rework - so i would go for a kiln with both side and top elements to avoid excessive cold spot problems...

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Marc Demian

Post by Marc Demian »

If I could design my own kiln, I would get one that lets me control the side elements. I've found that the side elements in my JenKen will seal the edges of my large pieces and trap air. The side elements do help even out the heat though. On larger pieces I like to use my Paragon with top element only. However, if you only plan to do small pieces even heat is probably more important. That said, small pieces are very forgiving and it really probably doesn't matter much. The most important thing is to make sure the kiln is not underpowered so you can fire fast and avoid devit. Marc
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Marc Demian wrote:If I could design my own kiln, I would get one that lets me control the side elements. I've found that the side elements in my JenKen will seal the edges of my large pieces and trap air. The side elements do help even out the heat though. On larger pieces I like to use my Paragon with top element only. However, if you only plan to do small pieces even heat is probably more important. That said, small pieces are very forgiving and it really probably doesn't matter much. The most important thing is to make sure the kiln is not underpowered so you can fire fast and avoid devit. Marc
I'll bet those firebrick kilns are uneven because they have inadequate insulation on the roof. Sides maybe too. Fiber rules.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions