Chandelier: Pardon me if this question is in the wrong place

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Judd

Chandelier: Pardon me if this question is in the wrong place

Post by Judd »

I'm creating a chandelier. The glass has been easy (simply bottles cut into long rectangles and fused together), but the metal armature is KILLING me. I tried buying a pre-made chandelier from Lowe's, but their style (colonial) did not go with the glass (abstract). Any suggestions on how to do the metal work/lighting?

Thanks,
Judd
charlie

Post by charlie »

go to a real lighting store. they'll have racks of catalogs to go through. lowes/home depot only will sell the cheapest stuff that will sell the fastest.

you're only other alternative is to have it custom made from your design, but a: won't be fire rated, and b: will be expensive.
Mira

Post by Mira »

If you already bought the one from home depot, you could try wire-wrapping it. You could also incorporate glass beads that coordinate in all or part of the wire - another interesting look.

Good luck!
Judd

Thank you both

Post by Judd »

Since posting this message, I have met a wrought iron worker. He says he can make me an armature for $75, but as Charlie stated, it would not be fire rated. Guess the light shop is my next best bet. Thanks for the wire wrapping idea Mira.

Judd