Sandblasting vs. etching cream

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Peggy C

Sandblasting vs. etching cream

Post by Peggy C »

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to all this. I have a question: will sandblasting or using etching cream give virtually the same effects? I'd like to make designs on dichroic for jewelry, and am wondering if these two methods are just a matter of preference as far as equipment, costs involved, etc.
Thanks for any help.
Paul Tarlow

Re: Sandblasting vs. etching cream

Post by Paul Tarlow »

canadian peg wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to all this. I have a question: will sandblasting or using etching cream give virtually the same effects? I'd like to make designs on dichroic for jewelry, and am wondering if these two methods are just a matter of preference as far as equipment, costs involved, etc.
Thanks for any help.
For making designs on dichroic glass, etching cream will work very well with far less expense or effort than sandblasting. The only cost is the bottle of etching cream (I think I paid about $20 for a big bottle at Hobby Lobby), somthing to resist the cream (protect the dichro where you don't want it etched away) and the dichroic glass.

Otherwise, though, sandblasting and etching cream are very different. You cannot, for example, remove fired micas, enamels or BE irid using cream, nor can you clean devit with cream.

Blasting removes considerably more material.

- Paul
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

If you go with creme or dip, use at least nitrile gloves with the stuff. And wash well after use. Do not use if you have open cuts on your hands. Most cremes are ammonium biflouride in solution sometimes with a little sulpheric acid to make it tastier. Ammonium biflouride is probably the mildest acid you can use and still get results but that doesn't mean you should go splash around in it like a kid in a sprinkler! I only bring this up because most etching acids at crafts stores don't give you this kind of information.
A very nice product to goof with is Vari-etch from HIS Glass. Have not used it yet myself but I hear good things.
I sandblast and then acid etch I feel that I get a more even surface.
j.
charlie

Post by charlie »

in answer to your specific question, they don't look the same either. i think an etching cream looks 'smoother' and sandblasting is more pitty. it should, considering you're firing rocks at the glass at high speed.
Peggy C

Post by Peggy C »

Thanks, everybody. I think it's etching cream for me for now. So I'll strap on my gloves and get to it.