Smoke Alarms

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alecia Helton

Smoke Alarms

Post by Alecia Helton »

What's the best/recommended smoke alarm for a studio?

I don't have any kind of smoke alarm in my studio/converted garage right now and decided it was time to get with the program.

Thanks for your help.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
charlie

Post by charlie »

call up your local building inspector to find out what's current in your area. in my area, the local code has all hardwired fire alarms, each linked to all the others, with both mains and battery backup. this way, if one goes off, they all go off, and they can then be wired into a security system that can be remotely monitored, and and also be hooked to a zoned sprinkler system.
Alecia Helton

Snoke Alarms

Post by Alecia Helton »

I guess my questions is, do I need a special kind of smoke alarm in the kiln area?

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
charlie

Post by charlie »

yes.

loud.

but you might also try to find a heat alarm too since there may not be much smoke on a runaway kiln.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Yes I think a heat type would be better than a smoke type unless you mount it where you can easily turnit of while you are making smoke on purpose. If you do turn a detector off, I suggest you do some ritual like putting your car keys or the remote for the tv on it so that you don't leave it turned off.
j.
charlie

Post by charlie »

i've never seen a smoke alarm with an off capability. that's usually a bad thing. you have to remove the batteries and disconnect from mains to turn it off.