Slumping Into A Wok

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

David Paterson

Slumping Into A Wok

Post by David Paterson »

I would appreciate feedback from anyone slumping into a wok. The wok I have is not stainless. Do you have problems with warpage, or scaling? What type of separator do you use? Does the wok deteriorate with multiple firings? Are there any other problems? Does anyone have experience with the boron nitride based separators? How high do you fire float glass?

Thanks.
Marty

Wok this way

Post by Marty »

Non ss will scale.

Some woks will eventually deform to an oval.

Sandblast, heat, spray kilnwash.

Or sandblast, spray or brush boron nitride.

Don't know about float.

Check archives for all the above and much much more.
Judith Andre

Post by Judith Andre »

I have been slumping into a large steel wok because I couldn't find a large enough stainless one. So far no major problems except the kiln wash deteriorates with each firing and I must reapply. I have only used it 6 or 8 times tho so don't know long term. I use a scrubby and water to clean off the crud before I reapply the wash.
Judith
Judith
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

Same advice as above, but if you don't have a sandblaster, you can just use sandpaper to rough up the interior surface so the kilnwash adheres. I use a power detail sander to follow the rounded surface.

Linda
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

I've used my non stainless wok for at leats 75 uses and still going. just don't go too hot. Float glass I slump at about 1250 on my equipment. different equipment will vary. many times I don't even put new kiln wash but maybe every 5 firings.
David Paterson

Post by David Paterson »

Thanks for the information.

At some point, I would like to have a large mold made out of spun stainless steel. Does anyone know of a place in Canada, preferably Ontario, that will do this at a reasonable price?