NEW STUDIO AND KILN RECOMMENDATIONS

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bozurka Pejcic

NEW STUDIO AND KILN RECOMMENDATIONS

Post by Bozurka Pejcic »

[color=violet][/color]
Hi guys,
I feel like a preschooler talking to collage students. I hope you will have patience for me.

I am an architect in love with glass of any sort, shape and form. Fused glass is something I have been wanting to do for long, long time and never had time for it.
Now I am a new mom and not working. I have time, but know nothing about it. :cry:
Don’t you worry. I am not expecting you to teach me!!! :lol:

For now I have one question

We have 400SF of basement (with a little window-better something than nothing) that we would like to turn into glass studio, working on plates, etc…. pieces up to 16â€
Bozurka, Seattle
Barbara Muth

Re: NEW STUDIO AND KILN RECOMMENDATIONS

Post by Barbara Muth »

Bozurka Pejcic wrote:We have 400SF of basement (with a little window-better something than nothing) that we would like to turn into glass studio, working on plates, etc…. pieces up to 16” x 16”(or so)

IF YOU HAD A CHANCE TO CREATE A NEW STUDIO AFTER ALL YOUR EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH GLASS (that I don’t have) WHAT WOULD BE APSOLUTE MUST FOR COMFORTABLE AND ORGANIZED WORK (as much artist’s studio can be organized)-EQUIPMENT, FURNITURE,…..
AND WHAT KILN WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

Oops I guess it was not just a one question

Ok, the last one is

WHAT BOOKS YOU WOULD RECOMMEND FOR A GLASS PRESCHOOLER WHO CAN CATCH UP QUICKLY AND WANT TO GAIN A LOT OF TECHNICAL KNOWLADGE AND NOT GLASS HISTORY and long introductions…

Thank you
I appreciate your help in advance
Bozurka, I think that everyone would have a different answer to your first question about how to set up a studio. Lots of information regarding equipment, kilns, organization of your space in the archives.

What probably everyone will agree on is that if you buy only one book, it should be Brad's book: Contemporary Warm Glass. If you look at the top of the page, you will see a link to the book. Buy it, read it and read it again.

enjoy the journey!
Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

I would start with Brad Walker's book that you can buy right here on this site. I learned much more from Brad's book than any class I have taken. I am relative new to warm glass and use the book a lot. Kiln, that is the $64,000 question. Just like everyone has a head they also have an opinion on the best kiln. I have a Skutt that I have a love hate relationship with. I think you have enough space for a studio and the window will be great to vent your kiln out or put an exhaust fan in to draw the heat and any fumes out. It gets mighty hot in my basement if I don't have the fan running. I have a table that has homosote on for cutting and I love it. YOu will need glass racks for storing your glass. You will never have enough room or big enough kiln. Hope this helps you a little. Nanc
Nanc
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Oh yes, whatever you do, buy as big a kiln as you can afford and as big as you can fit in your space. Two weeks after you start firing the kiln you will say it isn't big enough. (I did!)

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Number one concern for any studio in a home is safety. Double check your homeowners insurance to make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Fire extenguishers. Fire or heat detectors. Up to code wiring and walls.

Ventilation! Out with the old; in with the new!

Good lighting. Make your studio a pleasure to be in. Stereo. No phone.
Have a lot of fun.
j.
Bozurka Pejcic

Post by Bozurka Pejcic »

Thanks a lot all of you.

I have ordered a book already!!! Can't wait to start reading it. :P
I have spent few hours today reading bulletin board and related sites. If the glass was the reason for me to get on this site the people will be the reason to stay. This is such a great pleasure to meet so many nice and supportive and also knowledgeable people. Seeing your work is great inspiration for me.

I will be back asking more questions :oops: by then
Thanks again
Bozurka, Seattle
cemoore

Post by cemoore »

I firmly second the homeowner's insurance point. I didn't tell my insurance company for a few months after getting my kilns in my basement. I started out with the small Rapid Fire without a controller then got the real bug and went after the larger JenKen Oval 13. When I did tell my insurance company, they dropped me. Given the ensuing conversations with my agent here in Massachusetts I became convinced that had a problem occurred before my disclosure the insurance company wouldn't have paid on a claim as they would assert that this was a material undisclosed change in the use of my home. Uggh. Anyway, I quickly found a helpful insurance company who was willing to take the risk, it was in the neighborhood of $70 more a year for this new policy. The new insurer insists that the kilns I have must have controllers of some sort, so I don't use the Rapid Fire anymore. I am also in a habit of checking with my agent when I purchase larger pieces of equipment, like a compressor, to put the insurer on notice and have some documentation. Finally, while I have done it before, I now no longer leave my kiln on unattended in my home. After the insurance issue, I thought about this... All documentation you receive from the kiln manufacturers has in big bold print "Never leave the kiln unattended". I'm also now convinced that if I break this rule and have a fire in my home due to an unattended kiln, I would have a difficult time getting paid. As much as I value what I am doing for both fun and profit in the form of fusing glass, I think I have a greater obligation to protect my family and the few assets I do have. No, I'm not afreaid of my shadow, but I do believe that in order to do the fusing, I need to be willing to make a few lifestyle adjustments.

Cathy
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i would add to the above: if your basement is unfinished, great. put your kiln under the window. use an orton kiln vent. keep all wood etc away from your kiln so if it does go weird nothing to burn. you want lots of lighting. i would love to have lots of 3 or 4 foot square tables on wheels. storage and movable work space in one. (what i really have is doors on sawhorses and plastic rolling drawer thingies from k mart under them) rosanna
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

At least you still have K Mart. They have pulled out of all large cities in Texas. The nearest one is over 120 miles from my house.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Tom White wrote:At least you still have K Mart. They have pulled out of all large cities in Texas. The nearest one is over 120 miles from my house.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
I wish they'd pull out of AZ . . . and take their evil cousin, Wal-Mart, with them. :wink:
J
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

For kilns, I'd recommend looking at the Paragon GL24, or the Skutt Clamshell. They both would work well for what you want to do.

You need a nice cutting surface, everyone has their own opinion on that. I like the Morton cutting surface, but carpet, or masonite will do also. Make sure that your cutting surface is in an area that will accomodate a full sheet of glass. Bullseye is about 33 x 21".

You'll need an area to prep kiln shelves, and racks to store glass. Although you may start getting smaller pieces of glass, you may end up wanting to store full sheets in the future.

Lots of shelving for books, frit, stringers, finished projects etc.

You can't have enough work surfaces. A light table is a nice addition to one of your work surfaces.

It's good to have some sort of grinder nearby, and easy access to a sink.

Then, there's the TV, stereo, refrigerator and shelf for candy. And the area for the sandblaster, wet belt sander, tile saw, lap grinder, felessati, glory hole.........

Steve