First attempt at combing

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jon Wunderlich

First attempt at combing

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Here's my first try at combing. Wow it's hot in there, but quite thrilling opening the kiln at 1700 degree's. The piece is 8.5 inches, done with scrap strips w/ black border.

No threat to Patty Gray but hey...........it's my first one.
Thanks for all the help along the way everyone.

Jon

Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Nice job Jon. What size and kind of kiln, etc. At the demo in DC, Tony combed one and I combed the other at the same time (top loading kiln, double shelf) lots of fun. Thanks for sharing. Patty
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Nice piece!
BB
Barbara Bader
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Thanks Patty & Barbara,

It's 8.5 inches including the border, I had to trim a little more of the edges than I wanted to but the glass pushed my dams and it flowed a bit crooked on one side. I have a Paragon Fusion 7 (14 1/2 inches, 7 sided, but only 6 1/2 deep). I won't be doing any tall vases but I love this little kiln. I used a barbecue fork (long handled) with the tips filed down to make them thinner so I can do two lines at the same time. I did the first pull one way then closed it up reheated and pulled the other way the second time. If I hadn't had to trim so much the doulble pull lines would have been more visible, maybe next time.

Jon
SAReed

Post by SAReed »

I like that the pull lines are opposite, very cool! Good idea using a BBQ fork. When I get the courage to try combing I'll have to remember that.
Stacey