Pencil Blasters

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Peggy C

Pencil Blasters

Post by Peggy C »

Still trying to figure out this blasted sandblasting thing... I checked out a link Brad suggested for pencil blasters (when I was asking about bead blasters) -- http://www.cdvkiln.com/mensusand.htm -- and right off noticed that they won't ship sandblasters to Canada. :roll:

Anyway, my big question is this: with a pencil blaster, is there any other equipment you need other than an air compressor? I've got one, so that's no problem. But I noticed some machines have a dust collector included and some don't, so I assume you need that. And don't you also need a cabinet? How do pencil blasters work, anyway? I think I saw something posted about wearing gloves and sticking your hands in there, but can't find that post now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peggy
charlie

Post by charlie »

the purpose of a cabinet is twofold.

abrasive recovery: it's expensive to use just once if you can't recover it in any way

the ability to use some sort of dust control: the dust causes silicosis, a particularly nasty way to die.

if you blast outside in an open box, you can recover some of the grit. you'll have to wear a mask, but that's cheaper than getting a box and a shopvac.