first firing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lyn

first firing

Post by Lyn »

Have a small (Jewlery 6"x8"x9") kiln waiting for first firing. Do I need to fire at a lower temp after I put the kiln wash on the shelf and bottom or paint on the wash, fill it and fire it? I have ceramic firing background and some fiber blanket I used for insulating. Can this blanket be used as a form if you spray it with kiln wash? I've heard of a formable blanket is that what I need? Will I be able to work with single and double layers of glass in one firing? (I thought for my first firing I would try both hoping for good results with one or the other)
Steve Immerman

Re: first firing

Post by Steve Immerman »

Lyn wrote:Have a small (Jewlery 6"x8"x9") kiln waiting for first firing. Do I need to fire at a lower temp after I put the kiln wash on the shelf and bottom or paint on the wash, fill it and fire it? Will I be able to work with single and double layers of glass in one firing? (I thought for my first firing I would try both hoping for good results with one or the other)
Just make sure the kiln wash on the shelf has air dried before your put your glass on it and fire.

You can fire single and double layer glass in the same firing - but you will get different effects on each. It depends on what temperature you are firing to. At full fuse, the single layer will shrink and "bead up", while the double layer will retain it's dimensions and thickness, but will round up some.

Fire it up and do some experiments. Record exactly what you put in the kiln and how you fire it each time, and record the results.

Good luck.

Steve