Bending Glaze - What is it?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ross

Bending Glaze - What is it?

Post by Ross »

I was wondering if someone could explain what Bending Glaze is used for and why? :?:
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Bending glaze is sold by Fusion Headquarters (you can check them out as one of the board sponsors from the menu at the top of the page). I believe it is a lead flux that will lower the melting point of glass and will give a gloss finish at bending temps. Lead isn't food safe though if you are thinking of using it for vessels that are for food. You can apply it to the surface of the glass and it will mature in a slumping cycle.

Back magic matures at an even lower temp and you can use it on the back of pieces and fire to 900F or so to gloss up the back of an already slumped piece.
Ross

Post by Ross »

So if you had a piece that you had fused and you wanted to drape it... you would place the glazed side down and use the Bending Glaze to insure that the outside was glazed or vice versa? Sorry for my ignorance!