mason stain & carbonates/dioxides question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nancy Conrad

mason stain & carbonates/dioxides question

Post by Nancy Conrad »

I have a clay background & have some mason stains & carbonates & dioxides all used for colorants in mixing ceramic glazes. Has anyone been successful in using any of these ingredients as colorants in fused glass? What amount have you tried with what results? I am planning on sprinkling them on (like powder through a tea strainer) and sandwhich the stain between float glass then do a full fuse. I am also interested in trying it with broken tempered auto glass. Any suggestions?
Nancy
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

between has not worked for me. i have used copper carb for color in open face kiln casting casting. glass work is not really hot enough for mason stains to look nice. i have wondered what would happen if you took dampened glass like your tempered stuff and sort of dusted it with copper carb and then did a full fuse. pete v at craft web says that oxides off gas too much and will bubble and foam. rosanna
Liam

Post by Liam »

I did all kinds of testing with mason stains and oxides to get color and got very few good results. Mostly because of the large amount of gasses these produce, making big craters and holes. Mason staines did make better colors than most oxides. Black iron oxide, and copper oxide make a nice black and turquoise too. But the bubbles, wow.
Liam
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: mason stain & carbonates/dioxides question

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Nancy Conrad wrote:I have a clay background & have some mason stains & carbonates & dioxides all used for colorants in mixing ceramic glazes. Has anyone been successful in using any of these ingredients as colorants in fused glass? What amount have you tried with what results? I am planning on sprinkling them on (like powder through a tea strainer) and sandwhich the stain between float glass then do a full fuse. I am also interested in trying it with broken tempered auto glass. Any suggestions?
I have posted a little on this

Have a look in in the archives with

Stain

R U shure U mean oxides n not dioxides ???

Brian
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I have worked with oxides and/or Mason stains at 10 to 20% in P25 ceramic frit and have had good results. Black copper oxide makes a nice turquoise color with lots of bubbles between layers. Airbrushed on top layer gives nice results. Add a little CMC gum to help keep suspended. Unique Glass Colors are better between layers if you are not looking for bubbles. Pictures show black Unique color on bottom layer single strength float, black copper oxide in P 25 frit on center layer, clear cap. Second one has ceramic mother of pearl luster in second firing. http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tomwhi ... %26.view=t

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Copper carb can be awesome!

Mix it with a small amount of borax (as a fluxing agent) and distilled H2O. Sandwich between clear sheets and heat to a tack fuse. You will get bubbles, but they can be a nice sparkley design element.

I've also mixed straight copper oxide with frit in mold castings. It does crater and bubble, but looks great if you're going for a rough glass appearance.

I've done 30 or so color tests with Mason stain - borax - H2O mixes applied to float glass - sandwiched and on the surface of the glass. They remain mostly opaque when sandwiched and matte/chalky when applied to the glass surface.

It all depends on what you want the finished glass to look like - translucency will be low with the stains and bubbles will be high with the oxides. Mason Stains and oxides can be very effective depending on what you what you need for your visual outcome.
Nancy Conrad

Post by Nancy Conrad »

much thanks, Liam, Rosanna, Brian, Gale & Tom

now back to the studio to experiment with more information

this board & those of you answering are awesome--thanks so much to all who make it happen
Nancy