Reactivity??

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Glassdogs

Re: Reactivity??

Post by Glassdogs »

Toni Johnson wrote:Were you using cranberry frit? I've attached a pic of a piece that I'm working on that has a FV base with cranberry frit - 02 I think. I sprinkled some clear powder in some places, then sprinkled the cranberry over the top and along side of the clear powder. That might work for you. As you can see, the cranberry placed directly over the powder remained true, while the cranberry that was directly over the FV reacted, just deepening in color.

You could try some pink striker, too. It deepens to about the true cranberry color.
IMG_0043-2.jpg
I have a very flat plate mold that is about 15" in dia and a bowl mold that has a fairly wide lip that looks good sitting in the middle of the plate. What I had intended to do was use FV as a base for both pieces. I was going to cut another circle of Cranberry about 3/4" or so smaller diameter than the FV and then randomly cut up the Cranberry circle into about 16 or so swirly segments and re-arrange them back onto the FV in a mosaic-like circle, leaving a 1/4" of the FV showing as the edge of the plate/bowl. I was then going to fill the gaps between the Cran pieces with a yellow frit/powder. It looked better in my mind's eye than what the reactivity tests showed in real life. :oops:

Maybe I'll give a try to Morganica's idea of using the Almond. I have a sheet of that on hand.