Can I fire Paradise paints twice?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lauralei

Can I fire Paradise paints twice?

Post by Lauralei »

Well the 1st paint fire of red on BE glass at 1150 - is matte as promised...also ugly. The sandblasted part stayed... but as Tony said, just risk it and cut & blast the rim details again!.

Does anyone know if I can re-fire the red to 1350 and it will come up to glossy?
thanks
Lauralei
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I've always taken it up to 1400 or higher, and I fire multiple times without problems. I don't know how glossy it will be at 1350, but you won't ruin the PP. It's so full of flux that it fires up nicely in my experience over and over again.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Cynthia wrote:I've always taken it up to 1400 or higher, and I fire multiple times without problems. I don't know how glossy it will be at 1350, but you won't ruin the PP. It's so full of flux that it fires up nicely in my experience over and over again.
If you spray the enamel-on, it takes a very heavy application to attain gloss. I've had red and green (not paradise) that wouldn't gloss at any temp, because it was sprayed on rather thinly. But I bet Cynthia's right, its the temp that needs to increase.
Lauralei

Post by Lauralei »

thanks Cynthia and Don !- I'll change my target temp and re blast the rest
Lauralei
rodney

Post by rodney »

Cynthia wrote:I've always taken it up to 1400 or higher, and I fire multiple times without problems. I don't know how glossy it will be at 1350, but you won't ruin the PP. It's so full of flux that it fires up nicely in my experience over and over again.
CAN YOU TAKE THE TEMP to over 1500 without burning the PP off?

thanks
rodney