glass fuser needs help

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marty

glass fuser needs help

Post by Marty »

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this part of the WGBB but I assume I'll be told if it's not.

I've known Bruce Laughlin for a while, he's a good guy, a straight shooter, taught silk screening on glass, has been a glass fuser for over 25 years (he was a graphic designer before that). He's done the BMAC and ACC shows as well as many others.
A couple of years ago, Bruce suffered a stroke that left him partially paralyzed. With much determination and guts, Bruce has had an almost complete recovery. He was back to work within months and he kept a positive attitude throughout that difficult period of time. Well, it looks like Bruce has another challenge to face now. He is separating from his wife and needs to find a new studio location to continue his work. Ideally, Bruce is looking for a situation in which he could rent studio space (not purchase) from another glass fuser or glass shop. He's got a lot of equipment he could bring to a new studio which he'd be willing to share in exchange for partial rent or whatever. Bruce is currently living in CT but he is very flexible about moving to any part of the country. If you can help Bruce in any way or know anyone who can, please contact him directly at home 643-7507; studio 646-0898. He may only continue to be at his current location for about a month so prompt replies would be appreciated. (This is appropriated from Rain Chiarizia's appeal on another board and from a phone conversation I had with Bruce yesterday- if anyone wants more info from me, email me). Marty Kremer
Kitty

studio space for bruce

Post by Kitty »

shortly before this Board changed formats, i think i remember seeing shared studio space in Portland being advertised. the location was in a desirable part of portland, within walking distance of BE, etc. perhaps Brad can access the Classified Ads before the format change. those people might still be looking for a studio companion. good luck to Bruce. kitty easton.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

those people were Barbara Bader and Jack Doppler. Haven't heard that they have found a third yet...
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Kitty

bruce who needs studio space

Post by Kitty »

thanks barbara! as i recall, it was an offer for a fully equipped studio sharing situation. so glad you could remember who it was. kitty.
Jane Irvine

Post by Jane Irvine »

As a glass artist who has had to leave home/studio because of abusive husband and pending divorce, i may be a good match!! i've been struggling with the idea of how i can afford a studio on my own especially while i am unable to generate income without the studio space. a typical catch 22. thanks for the info marty. this board is a wonderful family of encouraging and caring people and your post proves it. i think i will call bruce and have a chat!

jane
Erik Brown

Re: glass fuser needs help

Post by Erik Brown »

Marty >>> If you can help Bruce in any way or know anyone who can, please contact him directly at home 643-7507; studio 646-0898. <<< Marty

Do you know if that is the section of Connecticut that stayed with the 203 area code, or the section that was switched to 860?

I am just about to convert my entire garage to a studio. If he wants to stay close to this part of the country, I am in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.

Erik
Marty

Bruce

Post by Marty »

Sorry- the area code is 860.