spreading glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

twinkler2

spreading glass

Post by twinkler2 »

I'm wondering if will have a problem (after cutting and putting it altogether)
My project is a 12 in. cake plate 2 pcs single rolled Bullseye coe90
with leafy features along the edge. I plan to place plates on top of 2 - 1/8 rings of fiber board, making a 2 in. rim around.
My question is (after some restless sleeping :) will I run into any problem with my plate 'spreading' out over on to my 13 in kiln shelf or on to the floor of the kiln?

What do you think ?

PS I don't have my Warm Glass book with me while I'm working :)- (suppose to be anyway)

Me Kim :?
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

If your piece is only 2 layers of glass thick (totalling 1/4" or 6mm), it will not spread appreciably, if at all. If your leafy features around the rim are an additional thickness of glass, then there will be some movement and spreading to accomodate the leaves. In my experience, if the additional glass is a bit more than a quarter of an inch inside of the edge of your glass, the spread from the extra volume will not distort the edge. If it does, it will be very slight and you can grind to even things out.

I don't see that you will have to worry about your piece flowing off the shelf...just center it well since you only have less than an inch of room to play with.
twinkler2

Post by twinkler2 »

Thanks for the help :)

I've never done anything this large in the kiln

Yep ! I'm a rookie :) But man.... am I hooked on warm glass

I'm thinking I need a bigger kiln already and my husband is shaking head :)
and loosing his garage space FAST

I'm loving it
Kindly
Me Kim