Nice Edges on glass. What is better to use?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

pclark

Nice Edges on glass. What is better to use?

Post by pclark »

Can I get the nice flat sharp edges I see on a lot of the bowls with just a wet belt sander and polisher or do those edges require a lap wheel? Is there a book on cold working I can buy? Thanks......
If at first you don't succeed try again. If that doesn't work pay someone to fix it for you : )
Bob

Post by Bob »

A wet belt sander will do most edges. Use a lap wheel if you want a flat, horizontal edge .

There is lots of information in the archives on edge polishing. Look under Steve Klein, Marty, Brock, Doug amongst others.

cheers,

Bob
Marty

Post by Marty »

Unfortunately, no book on cold working that I know of. If you find one, let us know.

I flat lap first, then wet belt, then sand blast, then finish with acid or Luster whatever or armorall.

Wet belts usually don't supply enough water to adequately cool heavy grinding with the coarser grits. Be prepared to rig up a supplemental spray.
pclark

Nice!

Post by pclark »

Marty,

If you read this, I just went to your site and your work is awesome. I have never been there before. I really like the Rainbow Bowl. The shape is unusual. It must have taken you some time. Thanks for the info as well. Your edges are the type I am shooting for.

Paul