stupid person with a stupid problem

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kelly alge

stupid person with a stupid problem

Post by kelly alge »

I'm embarrased to even admit that I did this, but...

I was fire polishing several dichro pendants in the quickfire this morning (to go to the gallery tomorrow, so I thought). I set the timer that I always clip to my body because I'm half deaf (really) and can't hear it unless it is attached to me, then walked out of the studio to answer the phone. FORGETTING TO CLIP ON MY TIMER

Now I have a real problem. The thing went to 2000F before I turned it off. Now my pendants are a (presumably ugly) puddle of muck, and my kiln lid is fused to the base. I need this kiln. I use it every day. I was thinking I should turn it back on and re-melt the glass to get the lid open, then stand there until it cools enough that it won't stick. Then I guess I'll deal with trying to chip off the cooled glass later. Does someone have another better idea? I am so mad at myself for being so stupid. :cry:

Kelly
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
Michael McNerney

Post by Michael McNerney »

Hi Findley Oh
Hilliard Oh here
As far as I am concerned that is probably the best thing that you can do.
I would slip a piece of thick fiber paper in between the top and bottom of the lid so I could open it after it cools.
Sorry about your troubles
and Good Luck :cry:
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

thanks Michael,
I never thought about using fiber paper... good idea. my brain has obviously shut down for the day. :roll: Anything new at Glass Axis?
kelly alge

Monica

kiln sponsors - demand for affordable overtemp controller ?

Post by Monica »

Fearing the worst - thermocouple failure during heat up of my kiln - I installed a home built overtemp controller that will shut my kiln off if it overfires. I did this as a retrofit to my exisiting controller, and think there is a market for an inexpensive, after market, overtemp controller. There is no substitute for diligence; however, a little technological assistance might save a kiln (and/or the artwork inside it), thus paying for itself.
Judith Andre

Post by Judith Andre »

After having a catastrophic melt down due to a malfunction of my Kilntrol kiln controller I now never trust one even though I have replaced it with a Barton which has worked fine so far. I had a kiln sitter put on my kiln and now always use it as a back up. I use a cone that is a little hotter than I am going to fire so that if things are working properly it will not shut the kiln off and I can still anneal as long as I want. But if something goes wrong it should trip and shut the kiln down before the flowing glass damages the kiln, even though the glass would probably be ruined from overfiring. My advice, by the way, is to stay away from Kilntrol products. If anyone wants more details on this very expensive experience let me know.

Judith
Judith
Judith Andre

Post by Judith Andre »

P.S. Yes I think there would be market for an inexpensive overfire controller, but lacking that, the kilnsitter is much better than the alternative.
Judith
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: stupid person with a stupid problem

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

kelly alge wrote:I'm embarrased to even admit that I did this, but...

I was fire polishing several dichro pendants in the quickfire this morning (to go to the gallery tomorrow, so I thought). I set the timer that I always clip to my body because I'm half deaf (really) and can't hear it unless it is attached to me, then walked out of the studio to answer the phone. FORGETTING TO CLIP ON MY TIMER

Now I have a real problem. The thing went to 2000F before I turned it off. Now my pendants are a (presumably ugly) puddle of muck, and my kiln lid is fused to the base. I need this kiln. I use it every day. I was thinking I should turn it back on and re-melt the glass to get the lid open, then stand there until it cools enough that it won't stick. Then I guess I'll deal with trying to chip off the cooled glass later. Does someone have another better idea? I am so mad at myself for being so stupid. :cry:

Kelly
At those temps I would not realy expect lid 2 B fuzed

Poss got warped n now jammed

C if U can notice any warping n try n rectify it

I have a heat fuze thingy type pyromiter in kiln which if gets at a set temp melts n turns kiln off
Michael McNerney

Post by Michael McNerney »

Kelly,
The Axis is doing well. We have new staffing and are begining to offer more and more classes. In fact I am going to be teaching Coldworking, sandblasting and etching tech as well as beg-adv fusing.
You should stop in sometime and check it out.
Michael
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

I'd be interested in the coldworking & such... I haven't been in since the move awhile back. Please email me off the board w/ class info. By the way, kiln came open when cooled, just pulled some fiber off both sides and cracked the bottom. I think I just panicked when I opened it up and found the molten goo. I am more angry about the pieces getting ruined and my forgetfulness than anything. Thanks!

kelly
kelly alge