Testing my new Hot Box Kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

J. Savina

Testing my new Hot Box Kiln

Post by J. Savina »

Hi All,
First time fuser here with a scary new machine. :? I've only used this kiln to make little glass globs, and to fire Silver Art Clay. I was very happy with my silver piece, but the ramp time recommended is only one hour, and the soak time 10 minute, and no annealing needed. I don't feel that I've tested the kiln properly for what it should do for fusing glass. According to what I've read, a 90 minute (at least) ramp time is recommended, and I haven't figured out how many minutes to leave it at a particular setting before I raise it to the next higher setting. I hope I'm explaining this right. If anyone is experienced in the Hot Box Kiln by EvenHeat, and could make some recommendations, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks everyone. :)
Robert Burrell

Re: Testing my new Hot Box Kiln

Post by Robert Burrell »

J. Savina wrote:Hi All,
First time fuser here with a scary new machine. :? I've only used this kiln to make little glass globs, and to fire Silver Art Clay. I was very happy with my silver piece, but the ramp time recommended is only one hour, and the soak time 10 minute, and no annealing needed. I don't feel that I've tested the kiln properly for what it should do for fusing glass. According to what I've read, a 90 minute (at least) ramp time is recommended, and I haven't figured out how many minutes to leave it at a particular setting before I raise it to the next higher setting. I hope I'm explaining this right. If anyone is experienced in the Hot Box Kiln by EvenHeat, and could make some recommendations, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks everyone. :)
I love my hot box use it quite a bit . I tend to watch the temp ie. I start out setting it on 2 up to 500 degree F . move up to med.until7 0r 800. then go to med . until about 1100 f then up to 4 or 5 to 1200. and eventually to HI . Once you get to HI you must watch it carefully, because things happen fast. I lost a lot of jewelry pieces not paying attention.
robert
J. Savina

Post by J. Savina »

Robert, You're a big help. :D I appreciate the information. I was doing something similar, but going one number at a time, waiting about 15-20 minutes between, recording the temp, etc. I found a kitchen stop watch that has 3 different modes, so I can time 30, 60, and 90 minutes. I figure with my tendency to have these senior moments, I'll forget to set the timer and ruin a good expensive piece. Thanks again. J.
Pat Loboda

Hot Box Kiln

Post by Pat Loboda »

I never put my hotbox kiln on High. Seems like I overcook my pieces every time I do. I look at it one minute & it's not done; then I look at it two minutes later, and it's overcooked. So, I set it on the highest setting just before High to go to temperature. I also got a new lid for it - the one with the window in it - in order to watch more closely. I highly recommend this lid.

Pat
Robert Burrell

Re: Hot Box Kiln

Post by Robert Burrell »

Pat Loboda wrote:I never put my hotbox kiln on High. Seems like I overcook my pieces every time I do. I look at it one minute & it's not done; then I look at it two minutes later, and it's overcooked. So, I set it on the highest setting just before High to go to temperature. I also got a new lid for it - the one with the window in it - in order to watch more closely. I highly recommend this lid.

Pat
:) Thanks Pat I'll try that .I do use a timer that I set to go off at 60 seconds. So I'm forced to remember to look more often. I like the idea of the window in the lid where did you find it?
robert