Need help 2

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

M.L.

Need help 2

Post by M.L. »

New to the board, and need loads of help. To start with, after reviewing the archieve, didn't find the answer I was looking for. If I have a wrought iron shape, and put my glass in it, with out some sort of kiln wash to the sides or fire paper, will the glass stick to the sides, and during to cooling time will the glass fracture or not, due too the two possible cooling rates. Thanks. Mike
Bert Weiss

Re: Need help 2

Post by Bert Weiss »

docboos wrote:New to the board, and need loads of help. To start with, after reviewing the archieve, didn't find the answer I was looking for. If I have a wrought iron shape, and put my glass in it, with out some sort of kiln wash to the sides or fire paper, will the glass stick to the sides, and during to cooling time will the glass fracture or not, due too the two possible cooling rates. Thanks. Mike
Mike

Glass sticks to metal when it gets soft. Iron will spall and fall apart when heated red hot. I would cover the wrought iron with heavy fiberpaper 1/4" or 1/2" fiberfrax blanket. Coat the blanket or paper with dry plaster or kiln wash and fire away.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
KILN-TEC

Post by KILN-TEC »

Mike:
Check with Bart Turner "www.turnerironandglass.com", or E-mail him at "turner@turneronfire". Bart has been doing hand forged iron and float glass for years.
You will be amazed at what people like Bart Turner, Bert Weiss, and many others, can do with Iron and Glass.
Rich Edelman http://www.kilntec.com