Help with controller

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda B

Help with controller

Post by Linda B »

Hi everyone, I am new here, so if this is a dumb question its ok to laugh. I am getting my first kiln for Christmas. Is there a place I can go and get some information on the auto fire 12 key controller on the Jen Ken kiln. I have no idea how to start setting the controller.
I have the kiln already and there is nothing about how to set the controller. There is no shop near me to go take a class so I will have to learn what I can on my own for now. There is a shop an hour away but there next class isn't until March.
Thanks
Linda
Chip

Post by Chip »

Chip
Micah 6.8
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

If you're talking about firing schedules, get a copy of Brad's book (click "online catalog" above) as a good starting point. You can also check the System 96 website (above) and the Bullseye Glass website for their standard firing schedules... If at all possible, I would recomend that you take an introductory class before you get in over your head and become discouraged.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Don Burt

Re: Help with controller

Post by Don Burt »

Linda B wrote:Hi everyone, I am new here, so if this is a dumb question its ok to laugh.
clip
Thats not a dumb question. A dumb question would something like 'how come I can't put the kilnwash on the bottom of my glass blank instead of on the shelf?' or 'why don't the warmglass artists who work with opaque glass just do ceramics instead. ..they both look the same, but ceramics are easier to manage?' . I know people who have asked themselves those questions but didn't post them here because they're so duh. Your question is reasonable and relevant.
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

Hi Linda.

You should have received a manual with your kiln. Call Jen Ken and have them send you one if you don't have it already. The controller info is in the back of the manual.

Even once you get it, its still a bit confusing. It has all sorts of preprogrammed stuff, but its all based on cones. I don't know squat about cone schedules and I want to program my own anyway.

So, lets suppose you want the following firing schedule:

Segment 1: 300 dph to 1450, hold for 0:15
Segment 2: 250 dph to 960, hold for 0:30
Segment 3: natural cool to room temp.

(You will probably want a more sophisticated schedule, but this will show you how to program the controller.)

When you turn on your kiln, it should be alternating between IDLE and the current temperature in the kiln (should be room temp).

When entering firing schedules, you need to pick a user program (1 to 4) and you need to enter the following for each segment: ramp rate (degrees per hour), target temperature, and time to hold at the target temperature.

Entering a value of 0 for ramp rate tells the controller you're done with the program.

Entering a value of 9999 for ramp rate tells the controller to heat or cool the kiln as fast as possible. Don't enter unobtainable values, like telling it to cool at 5000 dph. It can't do it and will quit in the middle of your schedule with an error.

So, if your kiln is at idle, the exact key sequence you need is as follows:
Keys you press are in square brackets, other stuff is comments.

Press [User Program] [1] [Enter]
The display should now toggle between rA 1 (ramp rate for segment 1) and the current value in the controller's memory.
Press [3][0][0][Enter]
This inputs a value of 300 dph for segment 1.

The display should now toggle between degree F 1 and the value currently in its memory for the target value for segment 1.
Press [1][4][5][0][Enter]
This tells the controller your target temp is 1450.

The display should now toggle between Hd 1 and the value in its memory for the hold time for segment 1.
Press [1][5][Enter]
This tells the controller you want to hold for 15 minutes.

The remaining segments are input similiarly.

Press [2][5][0][Enter] for 250 dph for ramp 2.
Press [9][6][0][Enter] for 960 degrees.
Press [3][0][Enter] for hold time of 30 minutes.

Press [0][Enter] for 0 dph for ramp 3. Tells the controller that you're done with the program.

The controller should now go back to displaying IDLE and the temp.

Press [START] to start the firing program.

Due to the limits of the LED display, the characters are sometimes cryptic and it mixes upper and lower case.

I hope this didn't just add to your confusing.

Good luck.

Larry
Linda B

Post by Linda B »

Thanks everyone this does help. I plan to take a class after the holiday's but its not until March and I wanted to play before then. Have a good day.
Linda