Novice Needs Help On Devertification

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

All Fired Up

Novice Needs Help On Devertification

Post by All Fired Up »

Please bare with me, everyone had to start somewhere and I'm just starting.

1) My wife slumped a piece last night and the gloss is looking dull and has a rough feeling. Is this what you consider devertification?

2) If so, I have read that you can use the Borax mixture to prevent this. When do you spray it? Is it when you fuse or when you slump?

3) Is there anything you can use to create the gloss on both sides? Or should I say, is there anything you can use on the mold to keep the gloosy look on both sides?

It is a little hard to see.

Thanks,
Bartman
charlie

Post by charlie »

1. yes.
2. before the first fuse. once you get it, the only way to get rid of it is blast it off and refuse.
3. no. you can come close by using some techniques and perhaps a coating named 'back magic', but you can't get both the top and bottom to be the same gloss.
All Fired Up

Post by All Fired Up »

Thanks Charlie,

Do I need to put on when I slump also? In other words, do I need to put it on twice?

Thanks,
Bartman
charlie

Post by charlie »

no. you only apply it once, the first time you go to fusing temps, which is most frequently the first firing. if you never go to fusing temps (you're only tack firing, for example), you can't use borax but have to use a lower temp flux instead.

it works at fusing temps to create a different kind of surface. that remains throughout any further heating cycles. it will only mature at fusing temps. if you apply it on a slump, it won't get hot enough and thus be very blotchy.
All Fired Up

Post by All Fired Up »

You da' man Charlie. I'll give it a whirl.

Bartman
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Novice Needs Help On Devertification

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

All Fired Up wrote:Please bare with me, everyone had to start somewhere and I'm just starting.

1) My wife slumped a piece last night and the gloss is looking dull and has a rough feeling. Is this what you consider devertification?

2) If so, I have read that you can use the Borax mixture to prevent this. When do you spray it? Is it when you fuse or when you slump?

3) Is there anything you can use to create the gloss on both sides? Or should I say, is there anything you can use on the mold to keep the gloosy look on both sides?

It is a little hard to see.

Thanks,
Bartman
I U realy wanna know about devit

There is a lot in the archives

Search devit

Have a look at my threads + that will bring up other people

I warn U there is a lot of stuff

Brian