my kiln wash problem

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

my kiln wash problem

Post by slats »

I have applied be wash to my shelf before with no problem. This time when I applied it I noticed it was an orangy color rather than the pinkish that it was at earlier applications. I had just mixed an new batch. Okay, fired it before using and looked fine until I fused a piece (2 layer plus design)....Got a big bubble........Then tried a raking( usual setup) got about 6 bubbles.....Whats going on here? The shelf is level etc. Could the kiln wash be bad? Why would the color be different. It also seems to come off very easily - sticking onto pieces. Help :roll:
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi doctac,

Sounds like to high of temperature, bubbles and the sticking to the glass. Are the bubbles where design pieces touch? What temp are you going up to and are you holding the glass at the high temp for a period of time? Kiln wash does break down at higher temps. Try sifting a little sparkle mica onto your kilnwashed shelf, it helps and will act as a seperator (similar to irid surface) or you can start out with an irid facing the kilnwashed shelf - should have great results.

Good luck.

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com