Rampmaster 2 Help Needed

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

Rampmaster 2 Help Needed

Post by Randy W »

I got my new kiln last Saturday, a big ol evenheat GTS 2541-13 with dual viewing windows and the hand held Rampmaster 2 controller. :D I got it set up and did the suggested firing, 500° per hour to 1500°, then off. Monday I did my first firing and everything went OK, except for the four hours it took me to program it. (My first time using a digital controller.) Yeaterday I tried another firing, I checked after an hour and the temp was only at 340°. I peeked inside and the lid elements weren't working. I called Evenheat and explained the situation and asked what to do, the answer was " I uh o " (which I assume meant I don't know) "let me check". I was then told to check the relays to see if they were stuck open. With some help from my brother we checked them out. Only the bottom elements worked, so we switched the wire to the lower element relay to one of the lid element relays and it worked which means it's not the relays, it's something to do with the digital controller.
I've read the manual several times and can't find a solution.
I THOUGHT I had read somewhere that I could fire the side and lid elements seperatly but don't remenber where I saw it. So I'm thinking that somehow the lid elements got turned off. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reprogram them to come back on?
I don't want to call the "i uh o" person again.

Thanks, Randy

P.S. I wish I would have told them to mount the viewing windows vertically. I can't see the bottom of my kiln. #-o
When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

There are three relay outputs from the RampMaster II. And while each of the elements can be programmed to operate for only a percentage of relay 2, I believe you need additional thermocouples to do that.

With that said, you should probably call Rob Bartlett and describe the problem to him. Bartlett Instruments makes the RampMaster II (it's the same as their VC-6F) and their number is (319)372-8366.

You may have a bad wire going to the top relay which would be Evenheat's fault, but he'll be able to help you troubleshoot the controller.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Thanks for the tip Tony. I called Rob and he was very helpful. He narrowed it down to a circuit board and they are sending one out to me today. Should be here Monday.

Randy
When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Yeah, Rob's the best. He really stands behind his products.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun