light weight respirator

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

linda s

light weight respirator

Post by linda s »

Flux fumes are giving me a headache and my respirator is giving me a neck ache. Does any one have a light weight respirator that they like? I might go back to using "fumeless" flux, just cause it does'nt smoke does'nt have me convinced. It is more costly and it evaporates more quickly. Now that spring is coming we can set up the fans, however that is not ideal. Thanks for any in put.
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

I just purchased the 3M 6000 from fiberglass Supply. So far this is the lightest respirator that I have used. Seemed to be very reasonably priced and I received my order very quickly ($7.30ish for respirators and $5.30ish for filters). Bonus--my glasses don't steam up as much with this respirator.

They offer the P100 filters for particulates (in a lovely pink, that really makes you stand out in a crowd) and a combo filter for particulates and fumes. They probably sell just the fume cartridges as well. Be aware. Supposedly these respirators run big and they only carry it in a medium size (which fits me just fine, but then again I'm 6' tall with an enormous brain case). So, if you have a small face you might query them about a special order.

For those interested here's the link:

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product ... giene.html

BTW, I'm new to Fusing. What does one use flux for?
Melissa Terman