Frit and Temperd glass compatible ?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tyler Frisby

Frit and Temperd glass compatible ?

Post by Tyler Frisby »

Im about to try an experiment involving Crushed up float glass with
prefused frit onto it. I was going to lay some of my home made chunk frit
with tempered glass anyone can say that this would work or not ? I cant
see why it wouldn't work, tempered is Float right ? I know that there are different manuf. of float with diff COE's (slightly) but can anyone confirm this Experiment before I maybe waste a LOAD. I was planning on firing on thursday or friday.

Thanks.
charlie

Post by charlie »

no, no one can state this because all floats are not the same. if you're using all glass from the same sheet, it will work. if you have different sheets, there's no guarantee at all. do a test with your actual glasses first.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Charlie's right, but you may get away with it. Some big differences in incompatibility may be tolerated if the pieces are small enough, and frit is pretty small. Would be worth a test on a square foot before commiting to a project.
Bert Weiss

Re: Frit and Temperd glass compatible ?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Tyler Frisby wrote:Im about to try an experiment involving Crushed up float glass with
prefused frit onto it. I was going to lay some of my home made chunk frit
with tempered glass anyone can say that this would work or not ? I cant
see why it wouldn't work, tempered is Float right ? I know that there are different manuf. of float with diff COE's (slightly) but can anyone confirm this Experiment before I maybe waste a LOAD. I was planning on firing on thursday or friday.

Thanks.
It's a crap shoot. It could work or not. Test. I have float glasses that are compatible and ones that are not.

If you had 2 sheets of tempered glass from the same batch, you could break one and fuse it to the other with reasonable chance of success. You would be assuming that the 2 sheets came from the same source.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

It worked I slumped it over a Stainless Vase former :0

Vrrrr nice !

Thanks
Bebe

Post by Bebe »

I just saw some 2" square float glass tiles with lots of multi-colored frit on the bottom. Had to investigate - seems the manufacturer is grinding very small frit and GLUEING it on the back! Then they cover the back of the tile where the frit is with sticky paper that looks like white contact paper. Guess once the paper is removed and the tile is applied to the mastic, the color frit isn't going anywhere! Oh yeah, and they wanted $20 sq/ft.
Bebe Stoddard
Riviera Glass
http://www.rivieraglass.com