mailing lists

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Dani

mailing lists

Post by Dani »

Does anyone have experience using this company's mailing lists?
http://www.artmarketing.com/ML/lists.html ..... they seem very reasonably priced. Thanks.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I'm not familliar with these folks -- but I'd be hesitant to rent a list that is only available in pre-printed label format. Your mail will be immediately recognized as "junk" mail. Electronic lists can be protected just as effectively by seeding them.

With any list you should ask when it was last CASS certified -- that won't guarantee all addresses are deliverable, but it will 1) ensure addresses are properly formated and zip codes match addresses and 2) give some indication the renter knows something about the list rental business.

- Paul
Dani

Post by Dani »

Paul, the company addresses those issues in their brochure (I didn't check on the website):

Lists are sold on a one-time use basis and "have been seeded to detect unauthorized useage. Each list is guaranteed 95% deliverable." They refund 37c per piece for undeliverable mail in excess of 5%. Plus they do their own mailing to companies/people on their lists in order to keep the lists current. Beyond that, you get a 25% discount if you order more than once in a year.

I don't know what else to ask/look for especially at that low a cost. The lists seem narrow enough that the label approach doesn't seem like it would be an issue... but, I don't know that for certain.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

The question is what names and addresses they are giving you. Look in any phone book and you will find a "bunch" of gift stores. Only a small percentage of them are what you most likely would ever want to have represent your work. Old phone books from the area in which you wish to sell can provide great information such as the length of time they have been operating. Can these list providers give you a contact name of someone who has rented a similarly specialized list that you could contact and talk to?
Kevin
Dani

Post by Dani »

I have a large regional list I've accumulated over the years. I'm interested in the national lists (particularly the ones related to books) that they have. If I was still making art, I'd also be interested in the museum list and several others that would take a considerable amount of personal time to create.... much more than they charge for the service.