cutting double thickness on Gryphon bandsaw

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Hassur

cutting double thickness on Gryphon bandsaw

Post by Linda Hassur »

I am wanting to use two pieces of glass to cut a 13 inch fish. It will need to be cut on the Gryphon band saw. Can I glue two pieces of glass together so it would cut as one? What kind of glue and how much. Thanks Linda
Michael

Post by Michael »

To avoid seperating problems after the glass is cut and cleaning the glue off how about using tape, parcel or insulation tape should do it.
Regards Michael
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Linda,

I could be wrong, and if I am I'm sure someone will correct me, but I believe I read in my Taurus booklet that the saw is designed to cut only one layer of glass.

I do a lot of fish using two layers of glass. I cut each layer separately.
However, my very first saw (God it was awful!!) :evil: suggested if you wanted to cut two layers you could put the layers together with rubber cement. But I never tried it.

Judy
Linda Hassur

Post by Linda Hassur »

Would it be better to fuse the two pieces of glass together before trying to cut with a saw? Linda
Tracy

cutting double thickness on gryphon bandsaw

Post by Tracy »

Linda-
I think the gryphon bandsaw is capable of cutting multiple layers of glass at a time. That said, I tried to cut three layers of glass once with lots of curves to the design and ended up with a ruined blade.

-Tracy