How Do I Look?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ross

How Do I Look?

Post by Ross »

This sounds like a silly question, but many posts say to check your project so that you can go directly to anneal or 'stop' the fireing process. Many posts say NOT to crack open your kiln until the temp during the annealing process has dropped to 200 or less. This seems like a contradiction to me. I can't see a thing through the plug hole in mt Skutt 1014

HOW DO I LOOK? :?
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

You can look in your kiln at any temp above the annealing range. So no problem opening the lid at your top temp. and taking a peek to see if you have the result you want yet. Remember to protect your eyes, use gloves and don't get too close. Once you have reached the annealing range though, no peeking until you get below 200 or you may shock the piece.
Amy
Carol

Re: How Do I Look?

Post by Carol »

Ross wrote:This sounds like a silly question, but many posts say to check your project so that you can go directly to anneal or 'stop' the fireing process. Many posts say NOT to crack open your kiln until the temp during the annealing process has dropped to 200 or less. This seems like a contradiction to me. I can't see a thing through the plug hole in mt Skutt 1014

HOW DO I LOOK? :?
There's a difference between opening the kiln (and leaving it open a crack) at the end of a fusing cycle to speed cooling and opening your kiln for a couple of seconds at full firing temperature to check on your fuse progress. Go ahead and peek at full fire. Be sure to stand back to let the first blast of hot air escape, make sure you have heat resistance gauntlets and proper eye protection.

Carol