pattern bar from 100BC

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kazindc

pattern bar from 100BC

Post by kazindc »

Was just reading "making glass beads" by Cindy Jenkins and found this picture of a pattern bar from Rome in 100 BC.... WOW how hard would that be to make without a kiln controller?????
karen teemer
http://www.teemer.com/bar
Brock

Post by Brock »

Pretty amazing isn't it? That's from Corning's collection. Roman, 1st c BC to 1st c AD. Mosaic glass technique, feather or scale pattern bar. Brock
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

that old glass just blows me away. i have been melting glass almost all my life. well, i started as soon as i was allowed access to fire at around age 8. anyhow thinking of all the bonfires and bottles melted and covered in ashes to try and get an unbroken piece. then to think they had to start from sand....... i wonder if it was that lightning glass that sparked the first ' i wonder?'. was talking to a native cheeser about lightning glass they used to get from jockeys ridge as kids. boy would i love to find a hunk of that. rosanna
judith

Re: pattern bar from 100BC

Post by judith »

kazindc wrote:Was just reading "making glass beads" by Cindy Jenkins and found this picture of a pattern bar from Rome in 100 BC.... WOW how hard would that be to make without a kiln controller?????
karen teemer

Well, Karen,
Just ask Brock. He fused for a zillion years before he finally broke down, bought a controller, and learned how to use it.

judith
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

The "kiln" control is only one part of the virtuosity. That is "only" a matter of having a big enough brick pile to make cooling take place over several days.

Imagine managing to get a variety of compatible colors without having any concept of COE, etc. I'm sure they had a good grasp of the notion of compatability, but do you achieve it via mixing, magic, or just dumb luck? I've been wondering if there are some dumps of cracked glass canes, etc. which archeologists can't understand the significance of because they haven't fused.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Now once you have the pattern bar, the next challange is how to cut the sucker up. No diamond wet saws in the days of the Romans. I would imagine they used some type of Armstrong saw and grit with water. Sounds like a good job for an apprentice.

Ron
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brock wrote:Pretty amazing isn't it? That's from Corning's collection. Roman, 1st c BC to 1st c AD. Mosaic glass technique, feather or scale pattern bar. Brock
What is really amazing to me is that I understand that they can't exactly tell how it was made. With all of today's technology available to Corning, to have a piece of glass that old and a mystery is pretty cool. The mysterious part is how the various impurities in their raw materials did their thing to get the colors.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brock

Post by Brock »

Bert Weiss wrote:
Brock wrote:Pretty amazing isn't it? That's from Corning's collection. Roman, 1st c BC to 1st c AD. Mosaic glass technique, feather or scale pattern bar. Brock
What is really amazing to me is that I understand that they can't exactly tell how it was made. With all of today's technology available to Corning, to have a piece of glass that old and a mystery is pretty cool. The mysterious part is how the various impurities in their raw materials did their thing to get the colors.
I think they think they know, but I'm not sure if I'm sure about that. Brock
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

Ron wrote
Sounds like a good job for an apprentice.
Better yet... a slave.

Rob
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
jim simmons

Re: pattern bar from 100BC

Post by jim simmons »

kazindc wrote:Was just reading "making glass beads" by Cindy Jenkins and found this picture of a pattern bar from Rome in 100 BC.... WOW how hard would that be to make without a kiln controller?????
karen teemer
Here is a link that might help to explain how some of this "BC" stuff was made.

http://www.cmog.org/page.cfm?/page=277

Then do a search on

Mystery Slab

Jim
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

too cool, whooda thunkit! rosanna