Bubbles...again

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Susan Cox

Bubbles...again

Post by Susan Cox »

I thought I'd had all the bubble variations I could reasonable have, but got a new one last night. I checked the archives, but maybe I missed something like this. Day before yesterday, I fired a 12" circle of Bulleye clear with frit of various sizes on top to a tact fuse. Yesterday I added powders, placed the piece on the same kiln shelf with the previously fired kiln wash, encircled it with 110-j fiber paper. The total thickness was even, and no more than 1/4". I vented the kiln to 1000. I fired at 300dph F to 1150, held 20 minutes, 300dph to 1250, held 20 minutes, 300dph to 1450, held 30 minutes. I checked at 10 minutes into the top hold and again at 20 minutes in, not quite a full fuse and no bubble. At 30 minutes I had a full fuse and a 1 1/2" bubble. I didn't think it was too hot, but maybe. Any suggestions? I liked the piece and am very frustrated!