NYT Glass Exhibit article

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Don Burt

NYT Glass Exhibit article

Post by Don Burt »

Glass exhibit article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/02/arts/ ... 1&ref=arts

Clip from near end of article:
'The French glassmaker, born in Senegal in 1958, must have spent hours gazing at Magritte’s paintings and perhaps too at Fernand Léger’s “La Fleur qui marche,” before conceiving “Métaflore.” The punning title with its phonetic allusions to “metaphore” and “flore” (vegetation) is in the vein of French literary Surrealism, going back to the days of André Breton, 80 years ago.'

Yes, clearly he must have been thinking about exactly those pieces. What would we do without art editors putting everything into proper 20th century gallery art context?
Buttercup

Re: NYT Glass Exhibit article

Post by Buttercup »

Don Burt wrote:Glass exhibit article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/02/arts/ ... 1&ref=arts

Clip from near end of article:
'The French glassmaker, born in Senegal in 1958, must have spent hours gazing at Magritte’s paintings and perhaps too at Fernand Léger’s “La Fleur qui marche,” before conceiving “Métaflore.” The punning title with its phonetic allusions to “metaphore” and “flore” (vegetation) is in the vein of French literary Surrealism, going back to the days of André Breton, 80 years ago.'

Yes, clearly he must have been thinking about exactly those pieces. What would we do without art editors putting everything into proper 20th century gallery art context?
Oh Don, that completely spoiled it for me. I thought it was two cartoon dogs conversing while standing close together on their back legs........Jen
Risa

Post by Risa »

Just returned from GAS where one of the presenters lectured for a good 45 minutes on the need to return to the blob stage of hot glass vs pursuing refined technique. The speaker is a museum researcher and academic and art critic. And said he's not a particular fan of glass as a medium.

Maybe I'm just a naive maker of glass objects, but from my p-o-v, I design stuff I like and I make it because I want to see if I can (to help develop my skills).

Are you or anyone you know seeking to produce works to enter any "historic" place in the art world?
Or is GAS such an academically driven organization that those kinds of ideas are the norm?
Babette (Shawn)

Post by Babette (Shawn) »

Buttercup wrote:Oh Don, that completely spoiled it for me. I thought it was two cartoon dogs conversing while standing close together on their back legs........Jen
Glass Rorschach? Art is food for the soul, it comes in many flavors.
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Risa wrote:clip
Are you or anyone you know seeking to produce works to enter any "historic" place in the art world?
I don't think you mean this: seeking to participate in a historic period aesthetic, or a nostalgic style, but if so, then yes. I'm sort of going there. But I think you mean rather the artists that are compelled to be ordained as important. worth writing about, studying, talking fancy pants talk about. I try not to go there.

Risa

Post by Risa »

Don
You're absolutely right about my intent.

Of course, an artist should work however s/he chooses.

However, I don't understand making something with the intent of becoming "important". But I am very lucky, I can afford what I invest in this pursuit.

If that were to change, I can understand courting the critics (whose opinion can persuade curators and collectors). There was a pretty big group of collectors at the GAS conference. It was interesting to observe how they were treated.
Eric Baker

Post by Eric Baker »

Don,

that Bob Ross and tree image you've created there is one of the funniest and cleverest things I've ever seen. If I'd been drinking when I was scrolling down, I'd have nasally sprayed my drink onto my keyboard. Too funny!

I grew up thinking Bob Ross was the coolest painter in the world, and surely his hair was the bomb! Thomas Kinkade, who? Bob's smiling down on us from those 'fluffy, happy clouds'.

thanks for posting that,

warm regards,

Eric
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Don, your artwork left me almost speechless! I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the sublime beauty of the spatial relationships makes resonant the inherent overspecificity. I'm further surprised that no one's mentioned that the subaqueous qualities of the negative space verges on codifying the substructure of critical thinking or that Bob Ross was very kind to squirrels. Jen
Eric Baker

Post by Eric Baker »

Wow, Jen,

you must surely have a Ph.D. in oblique thinking!

If you are not an art critic for an online magazine venture, then you have missed your calling. I choke through much less insightful writings in the several art review magazines that come in my mailbox every month. Well done!

I wonder if Mr. Ross ever ate squirrel soup?
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Eric Baker wrote:Don,

that Bob Ross and tree image you've created there is one of the funniest and cleverest things I've ever seen. If I'd been drinking when I was scrolling down, I'd have nasally sprayed my drink onto my keyboard. Too funny!

I grew up thinking Bob Ross was the coolest painter in the world, and surely his hair was the bomb! Thomas Kinkade, who? Bob's smiling down on us from those 'fluffy, happy clouds'.

thanks for posting that,

warm regards,

Eric
I didn't create the image but I like it a lot too
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Eric Baker wrote:Wow, Jen,

you must surely have a Ph.D. in oblique thinking!

If you are not an art critic for an online magazine venture, then you have missed your calling. I choke through much less insightful writings in the several art review magazines that come in my mailbox every month. Well done!

I wonder if Mr. Ross ever ate squirrel soup?
Thanks, Eric. I basked in the warm glow of your accolade for several minutes, wrestling with my conscience, then thought I should 'fess up and share, in the spirit of the WGB. Such insight is available to all.....just go to :

http://www.pixmaven.com/phrase_generator.html

Could be useful for writing artist statements, too........
Cheers, Jen.