Donut Bails

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

dawnsud

Donut Bails

Post by dawnsud »

I'm selling lots of the pendants made with Colour de Verre molds--easy to make, fun to experiment with color combos, priced from $10 to $20 with satin cord. I want to attach some of the pillow pendant pieces to beaded necklaces. I hate wire wrapping. So I wanted to use a donut bail to attach them. I need silver ones and black ones. Any suggestions for suppliers?
Take care.
Dawn
JestersBaubles

Re: Donut Bails

Post by JestersBaubles »

Barry has nice bails:

http://kaiserglass.com/Store.html

I guess the real question is, how can you sell pendants at $10 and make any money? IME, the molded pendants have to be fired at least twice - once for the casting and once to even out the edges/fire polish, and you're lucky if you don't have to do a little coldworking before the fire polish.

Dana W.
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

The only ones that are $10 are the small geometric pendants that I sell to girls under the age of 14. It often leads to other sales from the Mom. I am getting most this size done in 1 firing. I use a 1/2 inch wide painter's brush to flatten the top. Then I use a very small, angled painter's brush and run it around the outside edge and inner edge to create a little groove. This works really well for medium and fine frit. The coarse doesn't work as well. I've also added 10 minutes to the recommended firing schedules at the top hold time and I use the maximum of the range of suggested temps. I've been told that over that is asking for devit. Also make sure you are following the schedule for BE. A tiny footnote tells you to add 25 degrees for BE. Hope these ideas help.
Take care.
Dawn
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

The bails will work well. Thanks for the recommendation.
Take care.
Dawn
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

dawnsud wrote:Also make sure you are following the schedule for BE. A tiny footnote tells you to add 25 degrees for BE. Hope these ideas help.
Well, I don't use BE so I'll skip that part. ;)

Dana W.