Firing Schedule

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

Firing Schedule

Post by jim burchett »

I have some old Clay drainpipes that are about 3/4" thick. I was thinking of lining one piece that is 6"dia x 11" tall with fibre paper, filling it with scrap, and firing it. I'm thinking a 300dph to 1100..hold for 20 , AFAP to 1500 hold for 1 hour, cool to 900 then hold for many hours with a slow cooldown to room temp. Any ideas how m,any days this will take my Kiln out of commission? Thanks
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
jim burchett

Re: Firing Schedule

Post by jim burchett »

Just looking through Graham Stones book...this may require more time than I want to give it...If I'm reading right its 3-4 days. #-o
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Jeff Wright

Post by Jeff Wright »

Will you be firing vertically or horizontally? If you fill it to 11" - that is a heck of large casting. Even laying down and damming the ends would be 6" thick. I don't have my copy of Stone right near me but the bigger killer is the slow drop in temperature which amounts to something like 0.5 degree/F per hour. It isn't uncommon for really thick castings (which this is) to spend upwards of a month in the kiln.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I've done this with stainless steel pipe and 1/4 inch fiber paper, and it works well--I just use a schedule for the full thickness of the entire piece, pipe and all. But for that much mass (7.5 inches), you're not talking 3-4 days, it's more like 24 days. As Jeff mentions, you'll do a half-degree per hour to 800F, which is pretty difficult for the average fusing kiln (if I can get my Skutt down to fluctuations of +/- 5 degrees, I'm happy).

One thing to note: The glass will cook down quite a bit, as much as half the length of the pipe, depending on the glass you're using. And I've sometimes had pipe leak a bit, so I set them in a margarine tub or similar container with about a half-inch of plaster refractory mix in the bottom, then let it set. It seals up the bottom so nothing leaks, and it also provides a more stable base for some of the thinner pipes.

One other option, if you can support it, is to cut that pipe into 4 inch slices and fire...
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)