square up on straight talk

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

GuyKass

Re: square up on straight talk

Post by GuyKass »

Hi Bert-

Not 100% sure, but they will sell you a new card for the phone which is supposed to make it compatible. The card is only about $15 and the shipping is free.

The only thing about it is that you have to use the $45 unlimited plan. The $30 plan won't work with any of the smart phones.

I have a second or third generation iphone and I am going to give it a shot, it is worth a $15 gamble.

Guy
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

As for what Barry mentioned last, worst case (depending on your phone) you could turn your phone into a hotspot using free software and then connect to your computer using WiFi.

My wife does it occasionally if some idiot forgets to pay the Verizon bill at the house.

She uses a cheap model Android and the software was free. The phone gets hot and kills the battery fast, but it works great. Even in the car.

Guy
Janet McFadyen

Post by Janet McFadyen »

It appears Squareup does not take debit cards in Canada.. the US debit card is different to ours. our debit card takes cash our bank accounts...US debit is more like a preloaded credit card I understand. oh well I am signed up now.
facebook artist page @ Janet McFadyen's Glass
Terry Curtis

Post by Terry Curtis »

A debit card requires both the card information and your PIN to work. Square and the others from PayPal and the like do not accept debit cards per se. To use a card tied directly to your bank account, the card has to be a Visa or MasterCard branded debit card. These type can work like credit cards and don't require you to enter you PIN.
Terry Curtis
Janet McFadyen

Post by Janet McFadyen »

thank you for the clarification...I am on a learning curve for 2013 lots of new tech devices in my life so far this year.
marg

Post by marg »

Hi Janet
I was one of the test companies last year for Square before they officially launched in Canada. I set up at a cruise terminal for the tourist season in NS. It worked through the wireless system, and if I couldn't access it wouldn't go through. This only happened several times. Our problem came when passengers got off the ship and used the free access, every once in awhile you would have a hundred or so people getting their emails. Guess you pay for it aboard ship. The Port authority has now solved the problem for us.
Anyway worked extremely well,handed the customer the phone to sign and it would be approved or denied in seconds. Several minutes later we would receive an email stating we had a sale and this was what we got. The 2.75% was removed. And with the exception of Fridays the money was in our bank the next day.
Don't know if it upgraded over the winter but we could only accept Visa and Mastercard, as long as the card had their official logos it went through, so you could accept the gift card for instance.
I am extremely pleased with their service and it worked great.

Marg
marg

Post by marg »

Sorry should have said I use it on an android a Samsung and it will also work on my samsung tablet and I used it through the bell network,

Marg
Janet McFadyen

Post by Janet McFadyen »

thanks Marg mine should be here soon... I really think it will increase sales. As 80-90% of all sales are done with cards.
marg

Post by marg »

no question it certainly increased our sales. More important no customer was worried about it. They were either aware of it or fascinated that something that small could do that.